We have started a new communication log with Chelsea's teachers and I couldn't help but share. I read about this from another blogger and loved the idea, so I took it and ran. That's what we do as teachers - our best ideas are stolen!
There have been many nights Chelsea has come home singing a song to me, or trying to tell me a story or a sign, and I just don't understand her. It's been frustrating for both of us, but her frustration has really been shining through lately. She
really truly wants to communicate! I want nothing more than to be able to ask my baby girl what games she played at school, what she ate for lunch, or what book her teacher read that day. Sometimes I'll guess what she's saying (even if I know it's not right) and she'll smile, nod her head, and agree with me. Lately, she's been telling me no more often.
I'll ask, "you read a book?"
"No. Mon. Nes."
"What? You played on the monkey bars?"
"No, zeeeeelow."
?????
That can go on for quite some time at our house. Eventually, I just move on and ask her about the train I hear in the distance, or the dark clouds in the sky. Fortunately she still falls for that distraction method pretty well.
In order to help alleviate some of the communication stress, we decided to use an innovative little piece of technology. I have a love hate relationship with technology, but when it's used as an educational tool, I say go for it. We purchased a refurbished 5th generation ipod nano. It's got all kind of fancy features, but the most amazing is the little video camera. See where I'm going with this? Honestly I wondered at first how her teachers would feel about it - I can't say I would LOVE the idea of videotaping myself, or my voice throughout the day. I'm sure I would do it though if I had a child who couldn't talk. Chelsea's teachers welcomed the idea with open arms! They didn't even hesitate and even seemed excited to try something new. We have been extremely lucky, both kids have had nothing but FABULOUS teachers. (By the way, next week is teacher appreciation week, don't forgot to tell your child's teacher how special he or she is!)
Today was our third day exchanging this tiny device between home and school and I'm thrilled to report a huge success. The last two nights have been chaotic, and I'll admit we didn't get to watch the videos until Chelsea was in bed. Ideally we want to watch them with her, so we can talk about her day and actually have a conversation with her. Today when Grandma dropped her off at my school, I immediately looked in her backpack and viewed her day on the 2 inch screen. First up? Miss P. - "Going on a Bear Hunt" ... hmmm, good to know, I've heard that song before.
On the way home Chelsea was watching out her window when suddenly she started shouting, "oooh! oooh!" while covering her cheeks as if she was surprised! "Air, Air!" ??? Then it clicked. In just seconds, I realized
exactly what she was telling me. She saw a bear outside her window! Before I could say anymore, she began patting her lap and dove into ... "I'm going on a bear hunt ..." Okay, so it actually sounded more like, "go air un ..." But who cares?! I knew what she was telling me, I could ask her about it, and even sing along with her! I think she was quite shocked that I understood her and knew the song myself.
Priceless. Kind of gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling inside, doesn't it? I think I'm going to like this little ipod nano experiment. Now if only we could find someone to follow Logan around with a video camera at school all day ...
6 comments:
First,would you look at your girl?She looks like such a big girl!!Seriously freaked me out when I saw the picture as I envision her a 2 year old!!!
Second,love this idea.Drum roll please .... Zoey just started school and this idea might just be the ticket!Her signing is taking off... probably 100 plus and putting a few together but they are approximations and sometimes,because we lucked out with a teacher who signs and aid that does as well,I wonder if they have taught her a new one that I am cluelesstoo.
Zoey is doing her Make a Wish on June the 6th.A shopping spree ... maybe a video Nano might be in order!
Thank you once again for your little inspiration girl.Today is 18 months since diagnosis and I am feeling hopeful and dare I say optimistic ... but of course not too cocky!!
I love this idea. I have the same struggles with Antalya. She is constantly telling me things and I just don't get it. I think I'm going to have to try this one out.
That photo of Chelsea is so cute!!!
I love to ipod idea. T has a communication book. The set up has a box for all his daily routines.They write a little note in each box to let me know what he is reading, singing and working on each day. They also write a bunch of comments at the bottom and are really consistent. The only problem is when I try and talk about it with him he doesn't want to. I'm just wondering if I had him on video if maybe that might encourage him to want to talk about it. One thing I know for sure my boy loves to watch himself on video lol Thanks for the idea. Now will our aides and teachers like the idea?
michael kors pas cher, burberry pas cher, longchamp outlet, prada outlet, louis vuitton, ugg boots, jordan pas cher, nike outlet, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin uk, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, ugg boots, christian louboutin shoes, chanel handbags, polo ralph lauren, longchamp pas cher, sac longchamp pas cher, louboutin pas cher, oakley sunglasses wholesale, kate spade outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike roshe, polo outlet, christian louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, jordan shoes, tory burch outlet, christian louboutin, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, nike free run, longchamp outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet online, gucci handbags, tiffany jewelry, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, air max, nike free, tiffany and co, longchamp outlet
timberland pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, true religion outlet, hollister uk, nike air force, mulberry uk, hogan outlet, true religion jeans, nike free uk, oakley pas cher, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet, north face, michael kors outlet online, nike air max, true religion outlet, michael kors, vans pas cher, hollister pas cher, sac hermes, michael kors outlet online, polo lacoste, burberry handbags, uggs outlet, burberry outlet, ray ban pas cher, michael kors outlet online, kate spade, north face uk, michael kors outlet, new balance, michael kors outlet, ray ban uk, sac vanessa bruno, guess pas cher, nike air max uk, nike roshe run uk, ralph lauren uk, michael kors, michael kors outlet online, abercrombie and fitch uk, converse pas cher, true religion outlet, nike tn, replica handbags, coach purses, uggs outlet, nike air max uk, coach outlet
vans outlet, lululemon, valentino shoes, nike air max, wedding dresses, nike roshe run, p90x workout, reebok outlet, chi flat iron, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, baseball bats, timberland boots, soccer shoes, instyler, mcm handbags, north face outlet, ray ban, converse outlet, iphone cases, babyliss, hermes belt, new balance shoes, mont blanc pens, lancel, louboutin, soccer jerseys, ghd hair, mac cosmetics, celine handbags, hollister, asics running shoes, ferragamo shoes, hollister, north face outlet, abercrombie and fitch, oakley, longchamp uk, vans, beats by dre, gucci, bottega veneta, ralph lauren, nike huaraches, nike air max, hollister clothing, insanity workout, nike trainers uk, nfl jerseys, converse
Post a Comment