Monday, December 01, 2008

There's No Denying It

No matter how late I stay up at night, a new day is coming just as quickly as yesterday passed. I've tried doing nothing all day, playing all day, and even trying to do everything in a day. It never fails, time keeps on ticking. The hours turn into days, the days into weeks, weeks to months, and yes, months to years. Three years to be exact. It's what I've been fretting lately. It seems as hard as I try to delay it, my daughter is turning three. Very soon.

All weekend I racked my brain with the TEN most important sings that Chelsea might use at school that others NEED to understand. You might be asking, since she's not three until January, I have another month right? Well, not exactly. Today began a one week trial period of her new preschool. It's sort of a tease for her, but they say they need to do her evaluations this week so they can put together her IEP (individualized education plan - b/c of her disability). I kind of think this is their way of easing tense mothers into letting go. It's working. I didn't stress too much when I took her this morning, as I knew it's only for four days, and I don't have to hand her over "for real" until January 12.

With much anticipation, Chelsea was walked into the school with an enormous grin on her face. She actually didn't walk into the building, she ran from the car right through the front doors. She was ready. Logan and I had been prepping her all morning. We watched Signing Time, Welcome to School, to get in the mood, and we practiced the signs for school and teacher over and over. Her favorite sign from the video was 'pay attention' ... she was signing it all morning.

Unfortunately when we arrived at school and sat down for circle time, she was having nothing to do with me as I signed, "pay attention" to her. The first thing they do is the leader gets to take attendance and use a drum to beat the syllables in each child's name. It's a quick activity and then the drum is placed back on the shelf until tomorrow morning. Chelsea didn't get the "don't touch the drum" memo, because that was her focus the rest of the day. If it was the last thing she was going to do, she would get that drum! Needless to say, we struggled to keep her sitting on on the rug where her name was. We had trouble keeping her sitting anywhere. She's a mover and a shaker, with a very short attention span. Fortunately the teacher planned for this, and once we thought it was too much for her, she went to another area of the room and played games with one of the para's. (It was good fine motor stuff with functional preschools intertwined ... I was so impressed!) She would play for a little while, and then they would do a song or dance and Chelsea would rejoin the group for a few more minutes. The teacher expects she'll eventually learn and her attention span will grow until she can sit for the entire circle time.

In typical Chelsea fashion, she handed out the hugs (to teachers and children alike), and I dressed her in an appropriate shirt today that read, 'free bear hugs.' I think she "wow"ed them with her cuteness. Her idiosyncrasies can melt even the coldest hearts. She found a tea towel that was rolled up to keep the draft out from the window and she unrolled it, wrapped her bear in it, hugged and rocked the bear back and forth. That's typical for Chelsea. Almost daily I walk into a room and find dolls, or bears lined up and covered up. She's got quite the imagination, and I hope she never loses it. All in all it was a fabulous day, there were no tears, and with the exception of spilling her juice all over the teachers lap, she was very well behaved. I left about halfway through class and I don't even think she noticed. I was a little nervous as the only time I've ever left her in a situation like that was for a few minutes during PT. When I returned she was screaming and from then on she put up quite a fight when it was time for physical therapy. (still sorry about that Kim!) When I came back though I could tell she was exhausted! She ate as soon as we got home, and crashed quickly in my arms at nap time.

So while her third birthday is right around the corner, I try to remember to give thanks for the three extremely memorable and challenging years. While Chelsea has grown, flourished and become an extraordinarily smart little girl, I still believe I have learned more from her than she from I. I know that sending her out into the world is something she's going to have to do, and I'm okay with that. It really helps that she's right down the street, no more than a quarter mile! It might be nice to have a couple of hours to myself!


Just before spilling the juice all over her teacher!


She spent a lot of time over here in the "I'm not ready to focus very long with the group, I need to play" section of the classroom.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's our girl!!! I am so excited for her, a whole new learning experience. She is so smart I know she will get the hang of it in no time. She will learn so much from the kids, and I am sure they will learn so much from Chelsea too. We are so proud of her!!! Grandma C.

Michelle said...

Oh my, she's really growing up so fast. I hope she has a great time at school!

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

Looks like and sounds like she did wonderful!!! as well as mom!!! I know that it is hard to let go, to realize that they do get older. You will be amazed at how much Chelsea will grow as a person once the school year is over. I make it a point to get to the school a little early to pick Kaden up so I can watch him interact. It is fun to see something that I didn't know will come for sure.

I hope that Jan 12th is as easy as today was for you. Great job Chelsea!!! You are such a big girl.

Becca said...

Yay, Chelsea! You'll be amazed at how she'll settle right in to school and will do amazingly well! Samantha's transition to school totally surprised us, and she's progressing by leaps and bounds. And you will absolutely LOVE having those few hours to yourself! My husband's a stay-at-home dad, and he loves the break to run errands and relax on his own in the mornings.

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

How FUN! Kennedy misses school SO much! I know Chels will love it!!! Kennedy's most favorite sign in the WORLD is "pay attention" LOL. She tells me ALL the time! hahaha
Hope the rest of her week goes GREAT!

Michelle said...

Way to go Chelsea.....and Mommy! It looks like she was having a lot of fun. Others have already said it, but this will be a great experience for her. I was a little nervous when Matthew started school in September at 28 months, especially the riding the bus part, but he has done a great job and we have seen remarkable improvments. His walking is really coming along as well as his speech. Is she really turning 3? So hard to believe they are approaching that age.

FBF Rothkopf said...

Way cool! Sofia started last February, and spent most of the year needing to sit on the assistant's lap during circle time because she would not focus. This year, however, she totally "gets" the idea of circle time. I also sent her to school last year with a list of the 200+ signs she knew, and a link to the aslpro.com website so they could "refresh their memories". This year, they are pulling back from signing because she is really starting to verbalize more. I maintain the signs at home, but they won't teach her more signs at school.

Chelsea is going to have SO MUCH FUN!!!!

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

I am so excited for you guys. What a big day for so many reasons. I hope Chelsea settling to normal stuff like school helps your whole family in your attempts to build your new "normal." She is growing. She is thriving. She is going to continue to amaze us all. I am having so much fun watching her grow up.

Tell me what it is it like to have a couple of hours "off"?

The Bryant Family said...

Tucker is short on attention as well but he has a teacher that is tough and he knows the rules and what is expected now. He turned 3 in Sept but was going to a early childhood developement center for 2 days a week so they got to come and do evaluations there instead of us going on the trial. You will be amazed how soon she takes on what the others are doing--good and bad Tucker has learned to bite and throw a fit--but also he has learned that his coat goes on the hook and they sit down for breakfast together and just all around growing socially. It is a great time.
Check out my blog for Tuckers first school picture. He looks so grown.
Hang in there. Chels will do great and so will you....you do great anyway. have a great week.

My Three Sons said...

What cute pictures. I think Chelsea is going to figure it all out. This is a new adventure for her. She looks like she did really good. Keep it up Chelsea!