I'm definitely thinking croup. It was a long night last night, she spiked another fever. I'm getting to the point where I'm trusting myself more now. I didn't call the hemonc team, maybe I should have, but I didn't. I didn't feel like taking her into the ER would benefit her at all, and I did what's known as taboo in the hemonc world, I gave her Tylenol. I also gave her Benedryl, which did seem to help. (Blog reader Becky, I read your comment, but I still think it's croup. How did you know Benedryl wouldn't help croup?)
Logan has had croup a handful of times, he's known for getting awful coughs. I remember the nasty croup. For him, it always comes with a fever at night. And the barking cough, ... well it's not something you forget, and Chelsea's sounds just like a bark. What scared me more with her though is that everytime she would cough, she would wake up, sit completely up or try and crawl out of my arms like she couldn't breathe. It was pretty scary. I'm wondering if maybe it has something to do with how tiny her airway and it's just that much harder for her to breathe. (For those of you not versed in Down syndrome, they have smaller ... pretty much everything; smaller ears, nose, sinus, airway, ear tubes. It's just one of those qualities my daughter has that makes things just a little trickier to figure out.)
While I didn't call the nurse on call last night, I did call my mom. I know I'm not the only one that does that. How many of you still call your mom when your kid is sick in the middle of the night. I wanted to do the hot steamy bathroom with her, but I didn't know if that would be a good idea since she had a fever. We decided to go ahead and do it and just keep cool wet washclothes on her body while we're in the hot bathroom. She didn't like the cool wash rags, but sitting in the hot steamy bathroom seemed to keep her from coughing for a while. The funny thing though is that once I opened the bathroom door (right next to Logan's room) he began coughing. He ended up coughing most of the night although he didn't really have a cough before this. I guess the steam just got things going.
So opted to go the benedryl route for Logan too, and around 12:30 I finally decided I was going to try to sleep myself. I made the bad decision to drink caffeine with dinner last night, so I wasn't falling asleep like I wanted to. So I headed into the bathroom and did Satin Hands ... on my feet. It was a nice treat, but I still wanted to go to bed. With both of my children resting in their peaceful benedryl induced slumber, I finally gave in to the pink pill myself. I still have a sore throat and some drainage, so benedryl can't hurt an it?
Oh, and just in case you're wondering, we've got an appointment at 11:30 this morning.
Hello world!
3 years ago
9 comments:
maybe I am mixed up on the Benedryl but decongestants and cough medicine are not for croup because you dont really want to dry up the airway since it is already inflamed and narrow. They need moisture (like a hot steamy shower or humidifier) to open them up. My kids get croup all the time!!
Carey,
I am a mom who has had croup myself a number of times. My 17month old had it a few months back and I was told that it is only about a 3 day thing. Not sure I believe that, maybe the fever part. But I used Diamtap(sp) for me and my daghter. is a good grape flavor and helps kind of like the benedryl but better.
I lost my mom a few years back but still at times think oh I should call her and ask about this rash or that bump. Glad that all of your sickness is just normal stuff.
Lori
My son got croup a lot when he was younger, actually the last time he got croup he was 11 years old. For him a hot, steamy bathroom made him worse. I would wrap him up, take him outside in the cold air and just sit with him. It helped him a lot.
Don't get me wrong there were times that I had to take him to the ER for steriod shots, and breathing treatments but usually just sitting him outside in the cold air did the trick!
I know that every child is different and different things work for different kids. Hope this helped a little bit :)
on a side not about the Benedryl. My kids' dad has MS and his Neurologist told me (when I said I was having a hard time sleeping) to take Benedryl to help me sleep because it was non-habit forming ;)
So, what did the doctor say? I hope it is just something simple. That little darling has been through enough now.
Any word on Ryan yet?
Hope you all get some good rest this weekend!
Hope today was better. I am not sure if this will help but Cade continues to have what we have called a bark cough (we called it chemo cough during treatment) off and on since we have been out of treatment. Saying prayers.
Blessing - Amy Stapp
I am a frequent reader, rarely a commenter, but I had to say something about this post! I loved the realness of it, the reality of following ones instinct, of calling Mom, of benedryl, these are decisions that lots of Moms (and Dads) make everyday but don't admit it :) Kudos for honesty and instinct!
Hope everyone is feeling better today!
PS I am anonymous because I have to hurry out of the house, no time to create anything!
So how did the appointment go? I do have a question....do you own a vaporizer? I sometimes have to use it at night for Carson and seems like that is the answer for a good night sleep. I know that Croup can sometimes be worse at night and it just might help. Hope the family all get well soon.
Kaci
Carey,
I just thought of something when Abby had croupy type cough and a fever. I had the same problem worrying about her seizures, fevers and putting her in the steamy bathroom. She also would not stand for cold washcloths. I started keeping some frozen juice pops and/or some of those freezer pops on hand frozen and ready to go. While we sat in the bathroom I let her suck one of those. Kept her core body temp down but we got the benefit of the steam.
Hopefully she is better but just in case thought maybe this might work for you.
Talk to you soon!
Chan
Post a Comment