Thursday, June 26, 2008

Play-by-Play

It's Thursday and it's storming outside. 10 of the past 12 Thursdays, we've had rain. It's almost becoming predictable. It's Thursday. It will rain.

Chelsea has that sexy raspy voice thing going on today. When the oncology nurse called to check on her (and to tell me her cultures were still negative) I reported that I thought she may have laryngitis, but I'm not sure, can a person that doesn't talk have laryngitis? It seemed to get worse when she laid down this afternoon.

It was a lousy attempt at a nap, but just being in the horizontal position seemed to get her cough going. After sitting on the hardwood floor next to her crib for a half an hour, I decided she was going to have to put herself to sleep. I left her room hoping she would fall asleep, but I could hear her in there playing and whining just a bit. I tried the lay her back down and leave the room approach, but that was also unsucessful. Finally after an hour and a half, I brought her into my bedroom and laid in bed with her. Just as she was falling asleep, the phone rang. She didn't hear it, she was still. I lay there next to her as stiff as a board, only moving my eyes, watching for her to wake back up. No, she's out. Whew. "Thump, thump, thump ..." Oh no, Logan's coming in here to tell me the phone is ringing!!! Oh please, no Logan don't come in here.

"MOM!!! The phone was ringing!!!"

Chelsea's head pops up, "ooooh, ooooh!"

"I don't care, SSSHHHHH!!! GET OUT OF HERE!"

"Why don't you care? The phone was ringing mom, the phone was ringing."

"I DON'T CARE. GET OUT OF HERE NOW!"

He finally left. Chelsea and I started over. Again.

Around 2:15 she finally fell asleep. Enough time for a shower. Then the coughing begins, just as I head down to start some laundry. What do you know, I haven't even sorted the whites and Logan comes running down the stairs, "sissy is awake!" Thank you dear. Thank you for reporting so well today. Yes, she was awake. She probably woke herself up by coughing. She woke up crying and sleepy. She coughed a little more, but did better as the afternoon went on. 45 minutes wasn't a long enough nap. After dinner she was pooped again, so I gave her some benedryl hoping to help dry up some of her congestion. She felt hot just before bed, but her temp is normal. Poor kid, I really feel sorry for her. I hate it when my kids are sick. I really hate it when my kid is sick right after finishing chemotherapy.

6 comments:

Ballerina Girl said...

Poor baby!!:( omg that thunder outside is LOUD!!! I hope Chelsea gets better. SOON!!!

Michelle said...

So sorry to hear Chelsea's not feeling better yet - that's not fun. I hope she gets some rest tonight.

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

Dang it! What are we going to do with that little angel?

I cracked up though reading about Logan coming in like that! Abby does that to me all of the time when I am trying to get one of the others down for a nap. The more I say, "SSSSSHHHHH!!!!", the more she talks and talks!

Can't wait to hear she is feeling better. When she is, lets finally get together for some play!

Talk to you soon!

Megan said...

Poor baby. We are praying for her.

Becky said...

Oh that stinks that she is sick!! Are you sure she doesnt have croup? (that is what laryngitis is in adults) coughing is bad when trying to sleep. I guess the question I should ask is did the Benedryl help or make it worse? With croup it would make it worse.

Unknown said...

The big brother in our house is also notorious for letting us know when we missed phone calls or somebody knocking at the door and then he gets so sad when I yell "Get out of here!!!!" I hope Chelsea feels better soon!