Monday, November 13, 2006

A Healthy Heart

Today we went for a check up w/ Chelsea's pediatric cardiologist at Children's Mercy. First she listened to her heart and didn't hear anything...great sign! She went ahead and did a sonogram so they could take pictures and check out exactly what the status of her ASD was. Sweet Chelsea was so good during the sonogram. She laid there and sucked (actually chewed) on a paci they gave her. When she was checking out her neck, Chelsea turned towards the lady and gave her an awful look. Apparently the lady knew this was a bad position and apologized, but Chelsea wasn't too happy. She wiggled a little more here and there, and then before we knew it they were done. We waited anxiously in the room for the dr. to review the pictures. When she came in it was all good news! Her ASD is tiny, 3mm now! Actually she said it's so small they call it something else now. She wrote it down but I can't read her writing! I'll save it for her baby book anyways. She also explained that 8 months ago there was a valve that was forcing the blood through, but today that was gone, and all the blood was flowing normally! So, no more follow ups. She gave us a clean bill of health and said the only reason we would have to go back would be if her pediatrician wants a check up in a couple of years or maybe before she goes to school. WHEW!!!! I feel so great. I was hoping it was totally closed, but evidently she's perfectly fine since we don't have to go back for check ups!

After the appointment we went to eat and the waiter brought a small cup of water w/ a lid and a straw for Chelsea. I was getting ready to take the lid off b/c I knew she couldn't drink out of a straw, but I thought I'd just let her mouth it for the experience since we want her to learn someday. Well as soon as I put her mouth on it she sealed her lips and drank from that straw like a pro!!! In fact she sucked so hard the water came into her mouth quickly and kind of scared her. Needless to say she left the restaraunt with wet clothes! I'm so proud of her. I attribute those strong muscles in her mouth to many months of nursing! It's teamwork!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Exactly what we prayed for all day today!!!! We love you Chelsea....