Thursday, June 24, 2010

No More Nappies?

Tinkerbell, Cinderella and Belle, sparkles, rhinestones and stripes - so many choices, what is a girl to do?  Four and a half years later I'm getting a little tired of plain old white.  I mean really who doesn't want to mix it up every now and again?  Yes, every once and a while we'll get some with Pooh Bear on the butt, but I'm ready for something new, something stylish and cute. 

We're talking diapers here. 

Yes, the pull-ups have a few pictures on them, and also a few purple stars that are supposed to fade when they are wet (although Chelsea's never disappear, even when she's soaked through her clothes!)  I've decided that diapers just aren't that cute on a walking, talking, sassy four year old.  I suppose I could try the new sleek denim diapers.  I wonder if they make them in a big big girl size, like big girl size 6 - kids over 40 pounds ... doubt it.

I will admit it, I'm ordinarily a 'they'll do it when they're ready' kind of girl, but lately gosh darnit, I'm ready!  Doesn't that count for something? 

And I know all the facts. 

Children with Down syndrome have low muscle tone (really?!) ... guess what you need control of before you can use the potty ... yep, your muscles. 

Children also have to be able to understand how to make themselves go, how to empty the blubber (that's bladder in Logan talk). 

And of course my all time favorite, they have to feel uncomfortable when they go in their pants (ya think?)  Guess who could care less? 

Really, I shouldn't complain.  She's actually done very well two of the last three days.  I suspect it's just a tease though, I've been all psyched about buying big girl underwear before.  Last time it was short lived and by day three Chelsea proved that she was nowhere near ready to be let loose into the real world without a pink pull-up riding up her little cheeks. 

But once again these past few days really have me pumped up and ready to ditch the die-die's.   I've even been caught meandering around the underwear aisle of Walmart, day-dreaming about buying new undies for my big girl.  Two days ago she woke up wet, then stayed dry all day until after her nap.  Of course by that evening she was sick and tired of the potty and flat out refused to sit. 

Wednesday wasn't a great day either, but today has more than made up for it.  She did well during the day, but I was particularly pleased when we had a very successful evening out on the town! 

At Red Robin tonight, we made two trips to the ladies room before our food even arrived, and she told me both times that she needed to go.  I usually call her bluff if she asks to go in public more than once, but as soon as she started snacking on fries she jumped up in the booth and I instantly knew the problem.  She gave me those great big "surprise" eyes and with little modesty shouted, "oop!"  Sure enough, she 'ooped' for me!  She pottied again at Walmart and upon returning home tonight - all the while the pull-up remained dry!

I actually bought her some Minnie Mouse undies for Easter when she was two.  They're quite snug on her lil' bootie now, and they're still brand new.  That was way back when.  When I thought maybe, just maybe, my child with Down syndrome would be the one.  You know, the one that did everything right alongside her typical peers.  The one that would be completely potty trained by three.    Looking back I realize why I have so much gray hair.  I may sound like I'm bestowing a great amount of unnecessary drama upon myself and my child, but I'm really not.  I've gotten over the stress of diaper changing in the backseat during a snow storm, at the disgusting grocery store restroom, or in her stroller on a 100 degree summer afternoon. 

I just want to buy cute big girl underwear for my little diva.  Seriously, low-rise hipsters in lime green and pink for a four year old?  I can't wait!  Good-bye Huggies, hello Fruit of the Loom!!!

11 comments:

RK said...

Do share...what's your plan? Are you doing the "take them often, need it or not" style or waiting for her to tell you? I keep thinking I want to try this, but we deal with the fact that Braska can't pull her pants up and down yet. She can totally tell us, but won't all the time. So do we wait til she can dress herself or try to train her to at least tell us even if we have to help her every time... to potty or not to potty. Such a debate...

Becky said...

Love your post! My 4 1/2 year old typical son still refused to use the potty. I am right along side you on the being sick of diapers!!!

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

Go for it! Cold turkey. Yes, it's going to take a while (we're still working on it) and there will be frustration and set backs, but if you're ready, I mean really ready to deal with it all, then I say go for it! I'd be happy to share all I've gone through and lots and lots of support if you want.

I agree on the "guess who could care less" part! Peanut's the same. What a joke. But even with all the set backs and frustrations, I love walking by that diaper aisle and just thumbing my nose at it!

Becca said...

We're right there with ya, Carey! Sounds like Chelsea's ready, though. That's great that she told you she had to go. Sammi will very rarely tell us. She'll hold her bladder (blubber - LOL!) for ages and ages, but unless we ask her if she needs to go and provide that reminder, she will usually just go.
Good luck! Keep updating on this!

Heather said...

Sounds like Miss C is more than on her way and I do believe cute little girlie undies are going to be part of her daily wardrobe before long.As for Miss Z ...

I know people think I am crazy but I have begun already with her.We not only have the Down syndrome low muscle tone issue but CP as well.Which means she cannot do any of her bathroom "stuff" herself.Add the fact does she really understand the concept and yes,this why some think I am crazy.However,Zoey does sign potty and she uses it on purposefully on occasion and she doesn't mind sitting on the potty at all.It plays a jaunty tune when she goes,so that is a plus.I guess what I am trying to say is,why NOT start.I figure if she gets the connection now,in a few years we could be ahead of the game.So I say potty on ...

Good to have you back in blogland.I've missed you.

FBF Rothkopf said...

I am SOOO with ya on this one! I have bought one package of cute little girl undies each year or so. And then Sofia has outgrown them before wearing more than once.

She'll poop on the potty when given the opportunity (although not without reminding1). She'll ask to go potty whenever we are in a restaurant or movie theater - multiple times. But won't always want to actually sit.

I am SO SO SO tired of pulling pull-up wedgies out of her little butt!

The Bryant Family said...

OK, Tucker teases us as well. I put the big boy undies over his diaper. and we have a lot of undies ready to go when we do get trained. hang in there.

Proctor family said...

I too thought well she is doing everything else that her peers are doing so potty training will be the same way, but I forgot two very important things. If it is work you can for get it Mariah takes the easy way, second if it isn't her idea its not a good idea. And, those of you moms who have kids with down syndrome know that it is very hard to find something to motivate them stickers, candy well candy works so she would pee a little every ten minutes to get a piece of candy. She was a little over the age of four when she finally decided it was a good thing. she likes to use it as a manipulation tool like having an accident to get out of time out or to come in from recess early. pretty good thinking though. hang in there it will happen when she wants it to happen.

Janet said...

Carrie,
The time will come (and it sounds like soon!) when she will be ready. As I have told you in the past, I am a special ed. teacher working with several Down's Syndrome children and I have succesfully potty trained a couple of them in Kindergarten and 1st grade. I would be more than happy to share my success with you. How wonderful she was able to tell you while out shopping and eating. That's huge, huh?

Can't wait to hear more about your potty training experiences as well as your new job.

Janet
Indianapolis, IN

Mary said...

Hi Carey,
my one suggestion is that you get rid of the pullups and go straight to underwear. Target sells some thick training pants that are made of cloth which will give you a nanosecond of grace before soaking through. The pullups are really diapers and your girl is too smart to make much of an effort to avoid getting diapers wet. She is showing that she knows that toileting occurs in the toilet. Sure, you'll have accidents but summer is the best time to do this. Try to stay home for a few days to a week so that there is no temptation to resort to pullups, fill her full of water, take her to the potty on a regular schedule (every 30 minutes to an hour), praise like crazy when she uses the potty (maybe even putting a sticker on a chart every time she is successful), don't get upset with an accident (afterall nobody is perfect) and I bet you she will be trained by the end of the week. At first you can put her in a pullup at night but once the day is dry than wait a bit and then cold turkey at night. Only start this when you are ready to go fulltilt as it is confusing to stop and start. We did it this way--Anna (who has DS) started 3 year old nursery school diaperfree with her typical peers. So go out and buy those cute panties and maybe have your daughter choose them so she can have an incentive not to get them wet. Good luck

Carrie-Grace said...

Can't help but comment here... The Today Show did a segment on Designer Diapers this morning! They'll have Cynthia Rowley diapers at Target soon. I know you guys are heading out of the diaper zone and we do cloth diapers ourselves (which are cute, stylish, and money savers to boot!), but I wanted to share...