Next week is my last full week at my old, new job! Not sure if I've formally announced it in blogger land, but I've resigned from Parents as Teachers. Yes my friends, you can stop saving your trash for me ;) My new role? Well I might just be nuts, but I've signed on as a dual language Kindergarten teacher. There is a new dual language school starting here and they want to start with Kindergarten. The first step? Hire a teacher. Second step? Plan what to do in the dual language Kindergarten. Oh yeah, and let's get that done before July 30 please.
I'm only one person. I'll do what I can do and that's my best. I'll report when they tell me to. I'll use what I know and as always, I'll ask lots of questions! Basically what I do know is I'll have a class with half Spanish speaking children and half English speaking children and I'll teach the regular Kindergarten curriculum in Spanish AND English. Maybe one day English and one day Spanish or one week of each language, we're not sure yet how it will look. The good news is I'm the first so hopefully I can't screw it up! Each year they'll add a class, next year 1st grade, the next, 2nd, etc. By the time this group of kids finish elementary school (which is 5th grade), they'll all be bilingual and bi-literate!
Dream Big!
Hello world!
3 years ago
5 comments:
If you don't have resources on other programs operating like this, try checking with California schools. San Luis Obispo, CA had dual language classrooms-so maybe they can offer some advice.
Pam
Carrie,
Not sure if this is the same idea, but, we have an international school in our township that sounds similar to what you are going to do. By the way, congrats! There were two components to it--one being "immersion," which all instruction was taught in Spanish. The other component was a certain amount of Spanish taught each day. All children enrolled in this school had to do one or the other. The first class of students that went K-12 graduated in 2006 and many of them are now taking college classes to do something internationally. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me. Again, congratulations! janet3962@aol.com
WOW Carey it sounds like you will be a very busy lady. Congrats, you will do a great job :)
I think this is awesome!!! Congrats for getting that position and good luck with your first year. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that it all goes very smoothe!
Congrats!
Do you know I have been saving the milk jug lids!?? Oh well!
Post a Comment