Thursday, May 07, 2009

Daddy Home

Bless their hearts, Chelsea's teachers have been working diligently on getting her to use two signs together. It's really been a struggle for her and she really doesn't use two signs very often unless we prompt her. This is not a surprise, processing is difficult for her and is part of speech apraxia.

That being said, you can imagine my surprise tonight when my little girl said her first sentence! Well - does two words together equal a sentence? And ... drumroll please, both words were verbalized!!! I was trying to get the kids hustled out of the tub, dried off and in their pj's before Daddy got home from work. Like always, she was getting excited at the prospect of seeing her dad before bed.

Mommy - Daddy's coming home, let's hurry up and get dressed before he gets her.

Chelsea - duh

Mommy - Do you want to go see if he's here yet?

Chelsea - duh ... daaaadeeeee

Mommy - okay, hurry, lay down let's put on your diaper ... Daddy's coming home! DAADEE HOME. Can you say Daddy home?

Chelsea (I swear, plain as day) - Daddy home.

I'm getting teary eyed just talking about it. I couldn't believe it, I was smiling ear to ear, and I picked her up threw her up in the air and starting hooping and hollering about it! She was belly laughing at my reaction, it was hilarious. I kept telling her why I was excited, "you said, Daddy home!" So then, she did it again! Perfectly! For the rest of the night she repeated it over and over. Only twice was it clear as day, but the other times it was pretty darned adorable ... "Daadeeeee mome. Daddeee mome." Over and over again. I love this kid!!!

Maybe we'll stop fretting about her putting two signs together and just keep moving forward on her speech! What an exciting time for her. Not hearing your child say hardly anything for the first three years of their life sure makes beginning to speak so much sweeter!

5 comments:

The Bryant Family said...

yeah Chels!!!!!

SunflowerStories said...

I love it!!! yay!

Rachel Dominguez said...

You just made my day! :)

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

AWESOME!!!!!! Did Ryan get to hear her?

Amy Flege said...

i just love it!!! They surprise us everyday, dont they????? i swear mayson said "what is that?" yesterday.. wish he could record it!