Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sleep Study



While she took a three hour nap today, our little one still crashed at 8:00 sharp tonight.

The sleep study? Well, it is completed. They needed 6 hours and they got six hours. I think the pictures I took tell quite a bit of the story. She was quite the entertainment for the ladies administering the sleep studies. The gal we had said that she definitely got the cutest one of the week (ummm, hello? don't you mean of the month ... or of the year?) I know, hard to believe there are other cute kids out there besides your own!

When we arrived she had to set up the computer in the other room and she told us to do our normal routine, whatever we needed to do to get ready for bed. It was kind of funny to me because they told us to be ready for bed when we came, so she was all ready to go. Before we left I grabbed 2 pairs of pj's not knowing which would be better to hide the wires. I gave Chelsea the choice of which to wear and I wanted to take the other pair in my bag. She chose both pairs. And would you know this kid put both the sleeper and the nightgown on all by herself? Pretty impressive!

After we read a book and brushed teeth, Chelsea escorted me down to the end of the hall where I filled up my water. The water machine was right by a nurses station, so there goes my little charmer, waving, "Hi!" She had them instantly wrapped around her finger. "Do you want a milk?" Ha! I wish I had magic powers like that Chelsea! Apparently she fell right back into the hospital groove and felt at home, because while I was filling my water up she dashed for the closest patient door and opened it up! Seriously why doesn't anyone teach this kid some manners. It was like dejavu.

You would think sticking probes (stickers), monitors and toothpaste like puddy all over a three year old might cause a child some distress, but in true Chelsea fashion, she continued to delight the nurses through the hour and a half process. Mommy sang like a rock star (yes, in front of two adults) and Chelsea showed off her signing skills. I think their favorite was the silly pizza song. Ten years ago I never would have dreamed about singing about a cookie / ice cream / apple pizza in front of other adults! All shame goes out the window with motherhood.




We had a little difficulty getting the stickies to stay on her chin. I'm sure you have no idea why ...

SLOBBER! Yes, my child is still quite drooly, it comes with the territory (low tone, open mouth, tongue going every which way ...)

The cure for keeping everything in place and on her head?

Blue coban!



Does this make my face look chubby?

I will say this, my kid is quite the sport, she just went along with everything. I slept in a bed pushed up right against her crib. Once lights were out, I reached in and held her hand and she went to sleep pretty quickly. She's a sucker for human contact, all it takes is a hand and she will relax right to sleep. It melts my heart.



They had to come in and out throughout the night adjusting things, mostly the two tubes sticking in her nose. Those measured how much carbon dioxide was coming from her mouth and nose. She actually had periods of sleep (I'm not sure how with that get-up). I was kind of sleeping with one eye opened, I knew she would be scared waking up, and remembering she had all this crazy gear all over her. She did sit up quite a few times in her sleep. At one point she woke up and was crying. She was saying, "nananana" (no no no) and she was pulling at her "head gear." She was just exhausted and wanted to sleep in peace but there was nothing she could do, I felt awful for her!

I asked if I could comfort her and they said to wait and only talk to her if she sat up, looked at me, and said "mommy." Ha! I waited another minute or so and couldn't take it. She was really getting going on her crying and I could hear her getting all stuffy (which doesn't take long). I knew once she was clogged she couldn't breathe and then things would really be a mess. So I did what any mom would do. I crawled into the crib with her, gave her a kiss and put my arm around her and she fell back asleep instantly. I didn't stay in bed with her long, I figured I'd probably get in trouble. I wonder how often they see adults crawl into the cribs while watching those videos! Fortunately I've spent lots of time in those hospital cribs with her so I'm a pro at getting in AND out quietly.

By 5:30am Chelsea finally got all of the blue coban pulled off of her head. The nurse came in to readjust it and Chelsea woke up completely. For the next 45 minutes she was in and out trying to put sensors back on as quickly as Chelsea was pulling them off. Finally she asked if I thought she would go back to sleep (um, hell no) ... so we decided to call it a day and get her up. While she was taking all the goo off of Chels she told us all the girls in their office were ooooohing and awwwwing over Chelsea all night and she wanted to take her in to show her off before we left. Of course I let her go and they gave her a cute little teddy bear. Chelsea was thrilled.

It didn't take long to unhook her, and then we were on our way!

As for results ... they told me 2-3 weeks. Great. Well, at least this part is out of the way!

3 comments:

SunflowerStories said...

Oh my, what a night! I'm glad she did so well and got enough sleep for them. I had to do Sean's sleep study with him and it was a night mare!

I love how C charmed the staff!

Kelly Zimm said...

I'm so glad it worked out! She is such a trooper....I'm in awe and wish I had her patience. ;)

Becca said...

Great pics! I can't believe how calm she was! Samantha would've been having kittens. LOL

Chelsea's one truly amazing and beautiful little girl.