I really can't give too many details, but I have to share something that happened today while I was substitute teaching. I was a P.E. teacher today; interesting and exhausting. One of the classes has a little boy who is in a wheelchair. He is missing one of his legs. It is a tight nit group of kids, they've been together since Kindergarten, for four years.
This kid is amazing. He is determined not to let his disability slow him down at all. He can run on one leg, and he can run fast! He keeps right up with the other kids. This class always puts a smile on my face.
So when the class enters the gym, my instructions are to have them run laps for two minutes. I sent them on their way. The boy in the wheelchair was near me, and kind of asked what I wanted him to do. Since I've met him before, I never doubted for a minute that he could participate, so I told him to go ahead. Immediately, two classmates came running to me.
"That's not fair!!! He has his wheelchair!"
Seriously?! I'm sure I had the biggest smile on my face at that very moment. How awesome is that; the other kids see this child as one of them, and are only worried that he may have an unfair advantage because he has wheels. If only the whole world could be as accepting of individuals with disabilities. This is my dream.
Hello world!
3 years ago
2 comments:
Great post.....wouldnt that be wonderful. Thanks for sharing
That is an awesome story. I'm with you. Everyone should be treated equal regardless.
I used to be an EMT and never thought differently. Loved everyone of my patients.
Post a Comment