Saturday, February 28, 2009

Asthma

Out of nowhere Logan has developed this crazy non stop cough. I heard him cough a little before school on Friday and within five minutes of him coming home Friday afternoon I knew he was extremely sick. Of course by the time I got through to the dr. they were closing and I had to wait until today. We were able to get into the office first thing this morning. Two different nurses asked if he needed a vomit bag. His cough is so severe and scary sounding you would think he's just going to throw up at any time. He had been coughing like that all day Friday, all evening, and all night. Nobody got much sleep last night. He told me one of the kids in school told him, "Logan, stop coughing!" I told him if it ever happens again, he needs to go to the nurse and CALL ME!!! Getting sick on Friday's is just not convenient and I wish I had known so I could have taken him to the doctor earlier.

Two breathing treatments, 3 prescriptions, 1 over the counter medication, 2 tubes of chapstick and 4 hours later we made it home. Logan later declared he liked the doctors office b/c he got to wear this great mask for the breathing treatments. The nurse did tell me his cough sounded just like whooping cough, but she checked and he had that vaccination in the fall, so he should be fine. It still makes me nervous and I wonder if he can still get it although he's had the vaccine. Chelsea with whooping cough could be a bad combination. Let's just pray it's his asthma acting up and it will be gone soon! One hundred twenty five dollars in medicine and office copay's and I think I just gave up my wedding dress forever. If I don't pick it up this time, they're not going to hold on to it for me any longer.

I don't have time to dwell. This is just the way it's going to be until Ryan gets through nursing school. Fortunately the medicines seem to be helping Logan a bit. He is still coughing, but it's not as severe and now he has time to breathe in between coughing spells. The first time he went thee minutes without coughing I was amazed! Silence never sounded so good. He's now in bed and only coughing every 5-10 minutes, so that is a huge improvement. Maybe we'll get some sleep tonight ... maybe. Steroids make some kids hyper. Logan is one of those kids.

2 comments:

Leah Spring said...

Angela had whooping caugh early this winterl! I didn't even know it was going around here. She woke up during the night with "the caugh" and it scared the crap out of me! She was into the ER and everything but nobody caught that it was WC until the second day I brought her into the ped who heard it. See, they don't ALWAYS "whoop", and nobody besides me had heard that part of the caugh yet. Anyway, angela just had her booster in July, so she should NOT have gotten it. Her teenage brother had it a couple years ago as well, and he's been vaccinated for it.

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

How is Logan today? I hope the meds helped. I was going to call and see if you guys wanted to come down this weekend but decided you probably didn't want to with a sick little man.

Hope he is better and noone else is sick.