I belong to a message board for parents of children with Down syndrome. One of the recent topics was, what is "normal" for your child with Down syndrome. It was very interesting, and since we've just evaluated the snot out of Chelsea for her IEP, it was easy for me to talk about all she's doing ... or not doing ;) Because we have lots of readers who have a vested interest in Chelsea (former and current therapists, distant family members etc.) I thought they might enjoy reading about all she's doing ... and all she's working on. Take it for what you will, but this is our normal ... whatever normal is! You might just learn something about Miss Chelsea. Regardless of what she's doing now, we love her just the same!
Chelsea is THREE (and 5 days!)
She was born full term and diagnosed shortly after birth. She had a small ASD which has been cleared. Ear tubes at 12 months, she bit her tongue with her razor teeth at 12 months also which hit an artery and she had to be sedated and her tongue was stitched up! Other than that she was the healthiest kid on the block! Until ...
At 20 months she was diagnosed with leukemia. 8 months of treatment, 157 days in the hospital and she hasn't looked back. Super snotty girl since, but never really turns into anything more. Right now we're fighting sleep apnea, breathing issues at night, sleeping sitting straight up.
She rolled at 3 weeks (I noticed an early trend w/ rolling!), sat at 6-8 months, walked at 18 months (but digressed in walking when she got cancer). RAN right after treatments ended, 2 1/2 ... She can kick a ball and stand on one foot for 1-2 seconds. She's not jumping, and only alternates feet on steps when prompted. Sometimes she can do one step outside w/out holding on to anything, but it's rare. She can't peddle a bike yet.
She scribbles, but won't draw a circle. She's beginning to: draw horizontal/vertical lines, identify colors, button and zip, count, but still needs a lot of work. She can match colors and shapes and is an expert at the peg/picture puzzles (the more difficult ones prove extremely challenging, but she'll give it her all if she puts her mind to it).
She poops in the potty a lot, and often will tell us when she needs to poop. Potty, another story, but she did pee for me yesterday and then a little at school today, so maybe we're on to something. She has MASTERED undressing and can basically dress herself ... shirt, pants, socks, shoes ... although sometimes it's backwards or inside out, but her dad does that too, so oh well!
Speech, well, ahem. She's been diagnosed by hospital speech pathologist and infant/toddler speech pathologist with apraxia. She's a classic case even though she's young. She's got 168 signs (I just counted last weekend for her teachers!) She has ten words, but to be honest I'm not sure you would understand them, we do though! Still waiting on that "MOM" I'll take "bob" for now. Drinks from open cup/straw/sippy (when we're lazy).
She loves music, dancing, imaginary play (w/ babies) and signing time. NO stranger danger, and that's a little scary. She's a climber and escape artist. She's manipulative and does whatever her brother does. She can definitely hold her own. NOT AT ALL worried about loud noises. She's usually the loud one. You can hear her yelling, "HEY" a block away. She has to notify EVERYONE everytime something happens (someone enters a room, a new song is on TV, big brother is drinking milk ... WHATEVER ...) SHE yells, "HEY" and taps you until you acknowledge what she's pointing out to you. Funny, but a little annoying sometimes.
Wow, did I just write a book?! It's one of my favorite topics ... believe it or not, I could go on ....
Hello world!
3 years ago
10 comments:
Great post! Chels is doing GREAT! Gross motor has always been Kennedy's weak point. I can't wait to see how Chelsea thrives in school!
Wow, she and Em have a LOT in common! No matter what similiarities and differences our kids have, they are all their own unique person! Great post!!
Every time I think of Chelsea for some reason I think of the movie Mary Poppins. I know now you are thinking your friend has lost it. There is a scene though where Mary Poppins has just met the children for the first time and she is measuring them each with her magic tape measure. They talk her into measuring herself. It comes back, "Mary Poppins, perfectly perfect in everyway!" That is what I think about Chelsea. She is perfectly perfect in everyway and just as God intended her to be. Aren't we all lucky to be chosen to be a part of her world.
What a wonderful comment from above "chan"
I feel the same about Chelsea. Don't know her personally, but feel like I do. I listen to my CD that you made me and think of her every time. Love "Dream Big"
I think she is growing just wonderful. That is alot for 3 years old.
I'm proud of you Chelsea!
Such a precious little girl! The photo is adorable!
That post totally made me smile! I think "bob" must sound wonderful. :-)
I think your version of normal is absolutely,beautifully .... perfect.
Well I think she is a very beautiful little girl. With all of her milestones, I think she is just as normal as the next child. She is doing just fine and you have a lot of credit to give yourself!
Great job mom. Your the reason Chelsea is perfect.
I really enjoyed this post! Your normal looks pretty good to me!
What an awesome post! I just finally had time to sit down and read it through. I think Chelsea is doing awesome and she will show her teachers all the things she was holding back on during testing. Just may take her a few weeks of adjustment first!
Post a Comment