Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Happy Holidays!

For Christmas this year, instead of a holiday party, or a gift exchange, my mom's real estate office has decided to do something WAAAYYYY more fun, and she's invited us to join her! Yeah, that's me AND YOU! Are you intrigued, interested??? Well mark your calendars for January 12. No, it's not to celebrate Chelsea's first day of school (although it is her first real day of school) ...

On January 12, 2008 there will be a FREE lunch for anyone who so graciously donates blood at this very special blood drive. Yes, her Real Estate office will be holding a blood drive on Monday, January 12, 2008 from 11:30-3:30. The blood drive is a way to give back this year. In the past couple of years, our family has used its fair share of blood. Many of you know my stepfather passed away in April of 2007, just months before Chelsea's leukemia diagnosis. He was given many pints of blood while in the ICU for two weeks. My long term readers also know how much blood Chelsea received while in the hospital over the past year. She received 10 blood transfusions and 12 platelet transfusions. That's a lot of blood products for such a little girl!!!

Before Chelsea's diagnosis, we had no idea how much need there was for blood. Think about all of the kiddos just on the pediatric oncology floor of our city's hospital. There are 26 rooms on our floor, and many of the kids there need blood products on a regular basis. That's only ONE wing, of ONE floor of ONE HOSPITAL. I remember many times when Chelsea needed a transfusion we would have to wait, and wait. Not because the nurses were busy, but rather, there was a shortage of blood, or platelets. Thinking about all of the kids at Children's Mercy who need blood products is enough to make you want to donate isn't it? The great part is the Community Blood Center services Children's Mercy, so who knows, maybe your donation of life will end up helping one of our friends! To make the deal even sweeter, we'll be there serving lunch! I hope you can join us!

January 12, 2008, 11:30-3:30
Please RSVP to careydreambig at gmail dot com
Details regarding location will be communicated via email to protect privacy.



Seriously, doesn't this face make you want to go donate right now?!
Thank you!
I will keep details about the blood drive at the top of the blog until next Monday as a reminder!

5 comments:

My Three Sons said...

I think that is a GREAT idea. What a wonderful way to give back. The company I used to work for did blood drives every three or four months and everyone would laugh at me for acting like a big baby. But hey, I did it every time!

Me said...

You know, when I was younger, (I think from about age 16) I donated every 3 months. There was a blood drive in town every 3 months and I went to every one. I think I am a donation or 2 shy of getting my 25 donations pin! Life kinda got in the way of going and I really should start doing it again. Thanks for the reminder.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

What a fantastic way to celebrate. You must be so proud of your mom and her job! I never realized how much blood was in need until I worked PICU and we had to wait for blood to be sent from far away because their was none for hours and needing it desperately for my patients.

Also, for Gabi's open heart surgery alone, she needed 1 unit whole blood, 1 unit PRBC's and 2 units platelets. At least we knew about the need ahead of time and between 4 of us (me, Gabi's dad, and both of my parents) we were able to donate for her surgery.

And to answer you question about the bath paint clean up... it did require a little direction from me to get some spots, but it really wasn't bad.

The Bryant Family said...

Cute picture! I have never given a PINT of blood, wonder if I would pass out. I get light headed just giving blood to have a blood check up. I agree though, Tucker has had several transfusions and your blood drive is a great way to give back. I have to work on the 12th but cant i go into ??? Where do i go to donate, like on a weekend?

All 4 My Gals said...

I love this pic of her. :)