Mommy is so proud of you. You have moved mountains in your short three years here on Earth. You've brought me happines, joy and fear. What a diverse little creature you are. Just when I think I have you figured out ... I don't.
I remember the day you were born. I was devastated because they told me you had Down syndrome, but everyone told me it would be okay. All of my visions of our perfect little family were gone. All my plans, out the window. Life was different now and I was lost. I was lucky though to have the knowledge I needed to take care of you. It seemed as though all of my adult life I was preparing to be your mother. Four years of college, obtaining a degree in elementary education. Then five years of teaching in the classroom. I wasn't teaching just any kids though, I primarily taught kids who spoke languages other than English. They had delays in their English language. Who would have guessed I would soon need to spend equal time teaching my own child this difficult language? It was shortly after your birth that I realized I was facing my most difficult job assignment ever. Rearing my own child with a disability.
Research tells us that childrens' brains are developing at 'super' speed the first three years of their lives. The neurons in their brains are connecting at rate so fast it's impossible to fathom. They are sponges, soaking in and learning with every spoken word, with every real life experience. I knew that I had three years to teach you as much as I possibly could, because after those first three years, your little mind would continue to grow, but would never again have the capacity to accept as much input as it did during those first years of life. Call me an obsessive mother, I don't mind. What kind of a mother would I have been had I known this about my child but neglected to do everything I could to help her already disadvantaged little mind?
So once I got over myself and got my butt out of bed, I went right to work. I was determined to be the best mother for you, after all that's why God gave you to me right? The first months of your life I lived and breathed Down syndrome. We read books, attended meetings and conferences, researched the internet, anything to bring us closer to understanding little old you! I knew the only way to help you become your very best was for me to learn all I could about your disability. So I did. I spent hours reading and talking to other parents, therapists and teachers. You were receiving early intervention services through our local infant toddler program as well as attending private therapy sessions for speech, physical therapy and occupational therapy ... all before your first birthday! I actually got quite comfortable with your diagnosis. I knew what I was doing and we had a plan. You were well on your way to being your best.
Then you got cancer. My precious one year old daughter, was sick. Minor setback, yes. Everything I had worked so hard to learn about and figure out was suddenly miniscule to the challenges that were ahead. I then began living and breathing cancer. Leukemia. All day everyday, it was all I could think about, read about and learn about. Once again that drive set in and I was determined to make informed decisions, to get you the very best care providing you with the cure you deserved. We spent so much time in the hospital, receiving chemo, recovering from chemo, waiting for counts, it was impossible to focus on anything but the illness. We managed therapy sessions here and there, but mostly we spent our days and nights just being together. It was almost like I had forgotten about the Down syndrome for a while. I excused myself from the pressures of overseeing every detail regarding every therapy and intervention. You were just you for nine months, but you were trapped within the confines of a hospital. Exposed to many new people and activities to stimulate your little mind, but it still wasn't the same.
Finally, at two and a half, you finished your treatment. You survived cancer, you were done! But the reminders were still there, the worry and fear remained for months it seems. Until one day, the doctors were able to prove to me that you really were cured. You were healthy and there was no way you were going to become sick again. It is time to focus on Chelsea again, my daughter, but I'd almost forgotten about stimulating that little brain.
So how do we end up here? I feel like in your three years I've aged 30. Some days I don't know what direction I need to be going in, but I try not to worry about it. The panic only ages me more. If there is one lesson you have taught me since the day you were born, it is not to plan anything. Every time I plan for our future, you come rolling in with new plans. I think you've got this world figured out better than I do. So I am handing over the reins to you my dear, please, take the lead. You are three years old, ready for your own independence. You will start preschool in a few days and I know this is where you will spread your wings. Fly my angel, fly!
Love, Mommy
Hello world!
3 years ago
8 comments:
Happy Birtday Chelsea!!!
She's beautiful! Happy BDAY!
What a great picture! Happy Birthday baby girl! We love you...
xoxo
Beautiful post Carey and the picture ...says it all.A healthy and happy Chelsea and a happy,beautiful momma,who should be so very proud of herself.Fly indeed.
Happy Birthday Chelsea!!! Birthday kisses from Matty.
Carey, I love your post. Beautiful!
I have only read your blog only once before and I'm envious of your ability to express your emotion. I believe that must be thearaputic.
I read a few blogs ago that you attended mass on Christmas. Try to make prayer part of your daily life with your family. It can't hurt. I'm not some religious nutjob, really!. And feel free to ignore my comments.
Here are some things I was contemplating as I read today's entry. OK - what the heck is the "perfect family"?? Did you ever see the episode of Touched by an Angel where the family was told their unborn child would have DS? The father wanted to terminate the pregnancy as he wanted a "perfect" child. As he was talking things over with a friend at a coffee shop, some all american kid in a letter jacket comes in. The father was admiring him and his "succss" when the kid pulls out a gun, robs the coffee shop and shoots someone. The point is what is perfect family? Is it the family with the most challenges or none? Is it the family with athletic kids or not? Is it the family with the biggest house or smallest? Is it the family who has a child with DS or the one that doesn't? You get my drift.
You said you were a teacher - even teaching children with special needs! Does your educational training hurt or help Chelsea? I think it would help tremendously. Is this a coincidence of chance or just what Chelsea needs? I see your husband is now moving into medical care. Would that have happened without Chelsea?
Intelligence is overrated. Keep in mind that research is based on "typically" developing kids. Our kids are not typical, they are gifted. We know our kids take a little bit longer to learn to do things, yet they will learn it. Doesn't it make sense that because their brain is taking longer to develop that the 3 years is really more like 5 or 8 or 15 years? I think Chelsea's brain will be a sponge for many, many years to come.
Cancer - I would not wish that upon my worst enemy. But it allowed you to be what Chelsea needed most - her Mommy! You didn't have to be her teacher, her therapist, her nurse; just her Mommy. And you said it even almost made her DS go away. I'm NOT saying the cancer was a blessing. It was obviously a fight that Chelsea won with your help. Not many people can say that.
I think you are right when you say don't plan anything. Try not to be obsessive or anxious or panic - bad karma. It's bad for your health and will shorten your life. If you have aged 30 years in the past three, you'll be 90 when Chelsea is 9! The only thing constant is change. That doesn't mean you drive though intersections with your eyes closed. There are rules we have to live by (that was your pepsi in the picture, right?). Chance favors the prepared. Take the lead from Chelsea. Preschool is a new chapter in your lives. While she will learn much from you and her other teachers, she is really here to teach us. Class, are you ready to learn?
Great picture by the way.
That was really beautiful, Carey. Beautifully stated about a truly beautiful and extraordinary little girl. Happy Birthday, Chelsea!!!! Hugs and kisses from Sammi!
What a beautiful letter to write Chelsea. I hope that one day when she is a little bit older you will read her this story. It is something you should cherish. She is an amazing little girl and your an inspiration to everything your family has gone through. I hope she had a wonderful birthday!!
Post a Comment