Friday, January 09, 2009

One of Many

I survived my first IEP meeting for Chelsea, and I did it alone! We scheduled it early so Ryan could go on to work afterwards, but then he had to work his first 7a-7p shift today so couldn't attend anyways. It's so much fun getting the kids up early; feeding them, dressing, cleaning up, fixing hair, wiping faces, and then, the dreaded ... finding shoes!!! So we were only three minutes late which wasn't too bad considering.

I feel so good about all of the staff that will be working with Chelsea. It seems like I should have something to complain about, or raise hell about; but I don't! They seem to work well together and I'm pretty sure the teacher and speech therapist can finish each others' sentences. Doesn't bother me a bit, as these will be the two spending the most time with my little ... er ... big girl!

Here's what we've got:
20 minutes/day, 4 days/week, speech therapy
15 minutes/week, physical therapy
15 minutes/week, occupational therapy

I'm not thrilled about the amount of services for OT/PT, but they're stretched extremely thin. The OT is spread over eight schools and the PT goes to 11 schools! That hardly seems fair to the kids and I wish I knew how to or who to address this problem. There is a breakdown somewhere and I'm afraid the kids are missing out because of it. Fortunately I have the upmost faith in her preschool teacher, she plans with the therapists and incorporates Chelsea's OT and PT goals into her everyday lessons. I told them if I didn't feel like things were working well, no worries, ... I'll be sure to speak up. I don't think anyone was worried.

At the end of the meeting we said good bye to our infant/toddler teacher. She's done so much for us over the past three years. She even went out of her way to bring us special treats when we were in the hospital. I've learned more than I ever thought I would know about raising my special child, and I am so very grateful Debbie! After she left, it felt so sad, but I know if I need her she's only a call (or email) away. Here she is right before Christmas making cinnamon applesauce ornaments with Chelsea.


***Can't forget to add that Ryan enjoyed his first day on his floor. It's the cardiac floor, so there's a lot going on, he said he was busy all day. He'll shadow another patient care tech for a while until they complete a checklist of tasks he has to do. It's a little more than he thought he would be doing. He'll be removing IV's, inserting catheters and a few other things he never thought he would be doing this early on. I'm so proud of him! He's not wasting any time, diving right in and getting his feet wet! He didn't leave his shift until 7:45, he was so tired (and so was I!)

2 comments:

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

The only thing I can recommend to you about the amount of services she is getting, is to get them somewhere else as well.

Kaden only gets PT/OT/Speech once a week. I am not thrilled with how the speech is going so I talked with his doctor at CMH and we will soon(hopefully) be going there as well to get all three services.

Just a thought. I heard that there is something in Topeka, I can not remember what it is called, but they offer those services as well. I will find out and let you know.

Michelle said...

Carey - happy to hear the meeting went well! We were also disppointed in the duration of Matthew's services, however in our experience, his teacher incorporates therapy skills all throughout the classroom which has benefited Matthew tremendously. So while we would still love additional services he is doing well. Can't wait to hear about her first day. and Yah! for Ryan.