The blood drive went well, there was a lot of media exposure and we're hoping that alone will help increase donations in the coming days, weeks and months. There were people coming to donate because they heard about it on the radio, or because they saw it on the news at noon, complete strangers. Unfortunately many people were turned down, including Ryan AND I.
Ryan had an immunization recently for his new job at the hospital, therefore can't donate until Feb. 4, and I commented that I was wheezy, and it was all over from there. It was my first time, and I am seriously freaked out by needles (I know, it's hard to believe after seeing everything that I've seen!). I went through all the paperwork, let them prick my finger twice (the first time my iron was too low) ... I was ready to go. Most of the people working the blood drive knew I was slightly apprehensive, but none of them said I wouldn't be able to donate. I guess they just wanted to watch me go through everything and get my finger pricked, then tell me no way. The guy in charge asked how I felt, and I was just being honest, and he said no!!! I thought he was kidding the first five times he said it, then I realized, he was seriously not going to take my blood!
All in all I think we had a dozen people donate at the drive, but the person in charge at the community blood center assured us that the publicity and getting the word out about the need for blood will help. Hopefully people will watch that sweet little girl on the news and hear her story and about all the kiddos that need blood every day and feel compelled to give. I hope some of you do! It won't go directly to our hospital, but your gift of blood will save a life! If you do donate, will you please comment and let us know you've done so?
I'm sure you'll be genuinely surprised that I didn't take a million pictures ... but here's what I got. I wish I would have gotten one of my sister and brother in law, or the man from my mom's office that gave on the super dooper blood machine, but I sort of dropped the ball on the photography. I did a couple of our cutie, and of my mom (the organizer) while she donated. Thank you to everyone who came out to donate, to all who tried to donate but were turned away, and to those who sent emails and called wishing us well.
Hello world!
3 years ago
1 comment:
Hey Carey,
Unfortunately, I can't donate but I sure do wish that I could. Also, I wanted to let you know I have a blog now! So you can keep up on me!! Tell Chelsea hi for me and we need to get together soon.
www.morganjean12.blogspot.com
Love,
Morgan
Post a Comment