Last Wednesday, we were invited to a special dinner reception hosted by the Easter Seals Capper Foundation, where Chelsea receives her private therapy. She's been getting services from them since before her first birthday. This year they have featured our little munchkin in their letter to their donors, and she's also been in the newspaper in their ad asking for end of the year donations. This is why our family was highlighted at the big lighting ceremony a couple of weeks ago, and again at their reception last Wednesday.
It was a very nice dinner. We all fancied up after school and changed into our Sunday best. Both kids got to wear their Christmas outfits early this year! I was worried all day that when they introduced our family that one of us would need to say a few words. Then as the night progressed and the program was about to begin, I started feeling like I shouldn't worry about it so much. This should be an opportunity for me. If they would allow me to speak, I should. After all, I am Chelsea's biggest advocate. Under the circumstances I wasn't preaching to anyone who didn't already understand. Everyone there was affiliated with Cappers. Regardless of whether the guests were employee's, volunteers, or donors, they all had a special place in their heart for children with disabilities.
So the president whom introduced me did give me the mic for a minute (Ryan so graciously forfeited the chance), and I had my opportunity to thank, and advocate. With my nerves building up inside, my voice was shaky at best. I always seem to get like that when speaking to a group of people, no matter whom they are, or how confident I may feel. I will admit though I am much better at putting my true feelings on paper (or keyboard). So whether I got it all out or not, here is the message I intended to pass on.
When you have a child, you love that child more than anything in the world. Before your baby is even born, you imagine all the possibility and opportunity in this world for your new son or daughter. As your child grows, you are reminding them often, that they can be anything they want to be. But when you learn that your baby has a disability, like Down syndrome, all of those hopes and dreams darken, and you wonder if any of them are even possible. Your new vision is blurred and filled with uncertainty and fear.
Soon the fog begins to clear. You seek help and continue on the arduous path. As your child grows, you receive guidance from support groups, therapists, teachers and community members. Some of the information you learn about Down syndrome seems grim, but nonetheless these children have enthusiasm that is contagious. Each goal you set is continually achieved at lightening speed. Your pride is hard to contain.
Now, three years later, that vision is crystal clear. I don't need glasses to help me see what is in her future. I can proudly say, with certainty, "Chelsea, you can be anything you want to be." It is those outstanding educators, community members, support groups and therapists that have had a tremendous impact on her success, her abilities, and her progress. And I thank you from the bottom of my proud-mommy heart!
And now your wait is over. Here is that little princess ...
We let Chelsea run around a little bit (it was more like her running away). We wanted her to burn off some of her energy before sitting down for the presentations.
Both kids did very well considering the length of the reception. Thank goodness I remembered to pack my "mommy bag" full of goodies neither of the kids had seen! Logan read a few books and colored. Chelsea colored and looked at picture cards while practicing her sign vocabulary. I can only imagine what people were thinking as we were sitting there making all kinds of random hand gestures!
Here's an attempt of a family photo while we were all dressed up. A little blurry though. I think the photographer may have had too much wine. (just kidding)
Hello world!
3 years ago
7 comments:
That is a great family shot. You all look so great. Looks like a wonderful time. And a much needed good time!
What a beautiful family!!! We miss you guys.
Hey, I resemble that last remark!
Just kidding, Grandma Barb aka "the photographer"
Such a beautiful family!
And your words are just lovely and touching.
The pictures are great! Beautiful family indeed!
I know from experience about the hopes and dreams you have for your little one. They can be anything and do anything they set their sights on. I had my daughter back when most of the doctors thought it was hopeless for a child with Down Syndrome and wanted me to put her in an institution. But I refused and let her be the normal child she wanted to be, trying out for cheerleader, softball, basketball just anything she wanted. Well she is now 22 and been married for 1 1/2 years now.
Best of luck to your precious little one.
Beautiful Post Carey. Your family looks awesome:) Love Chelsea's red ribbons!
Post a Comment