We spent the morning poking and prodding poor Chelsea. It was like torture, poor kid. We started with hearing clinic. The audiologist was very impressed and said she did better than most kids her age (without Down syndrome!) While there were a few false positives, she got everything right for the most part. She's confident Chelsea is hearing well and isn't worried about a thing. That being said, she recommended bringing her in again in six months to recheck when she's a little older so we can confirm that she wasn't just happening to respond to the sounds out of luck. If you ask me though, they just want us to bring her in again b/c they thought she looked so darned cute! I dressed her in a green onesie, a red jumper and her holiday baby legs! Always a trend setter this one ...
We had an hour to spare so we took her to oncology to have her blood drawn. They kept us longer than we thought and went ahead and did her physical exam this morning (although our appointment wasn't until the afternoon). They said they wanted to get us out before all the snow came in, but later the nurse confessed they were trying to get out themselves! Either way, I wasn't going to argue with that. After a quick exam, a poke in the arm, another peak in the ears, and one last prescription for fluconozole (for the butt rash), we were off to opthamology!
We hadn't had her eyes checked in almost two years, we got a little behind in that area because of that little thing that came up last year, you know, the leukemia. Turns out it was okay to miss her eye check ups b/c everything looked wonderful. They saw no signs of the exotropia our eye dr saw as an infant, and she definitely doesn't need glasses. She's slightly farsided but he said that's normal for her age. He even went as far as to say, she may not ever need glasses! Whew. One less thing to worry about. We will continue yearly check ups though just to stay on top of things.
So you're wondering about her counts from the oncology standpoint right? Drumroll please ........ Miss Chelsea is just about as fully recovered from her chemo as a kid can be!!! Her ANC is 3,000 something ... WBC 5.84, platelets 333,000, and hemoglobin rolling in at 14.9! If you remember that white blood count was taking the longest to recover and normal is 6-10, so I'd say SHE'S THERE! I don't think we could have gotten a better report from any of the clinics today. Somebody was looking out for our little munchkin. I think it's her turn to be "normal", to not be sick, and to just be a kid this Christmas! Praise the Lord!
So that was our day. We made our monthly trip to Manny's for lunch after clinic. It's Chelsea's favorite. We don't even order her food b/c all she eats is chips and salsa. And when I say salsa, I mean she eats it with a spoon! Ewww.
Logan spent the night w/ gma and gpa last night. We had to leave too early in the morning and getting him to school wasn't going to work out, so gpa drove him in the morning. He was a monster this evening and went to bed at 6:00!!! We're hoping to get him well rested for our very special dinner tomorrow night.
I'll leave you with the many faces of ... Chelsea. Gotta love Signing Time!
SCARED
GRUMPY
SURPRISED (looks the same as scared ;)
SICK
Hello world!
3 years ago
7 comments:
Great news from clinic and absolutely great pictures of Chelsea.What a good signer.I'm proud of you Chelsea girl.
I am so glad she is doing great! She is such a cute kiddo! Love the faces and signs.
Yay--clean bills of health all around! Thanks for the giggle with those adorable pics!
YAY!!!! Sounds like she's doing GREAT! Her counts are better than Kennedy's! LOL
So glad you had great clinic visit - those counts are AWESOME!!
YAY for a great clinic day!! I am so happy that she did so well. Rhett likes to eat chips and salsa too. But instead of chips he eats saltines and salsa. Ewwww.
There must have been something going around yesterday for the older siblings, because Chloee was a monster all day yesterday too.
Sending lot's of ((HUGS))
"We had an hour to spare so we took her to oncology to have her blood drawn."
Only the mother of a child with special needs would spend their spare time like this. :D I'm glad she's doing well!
(I lurk on your blog. A LOT lol)
Post a Comment