Thursday, November 13, 2008

Letting Go

Today was a big day, not only because we're six months off of treatment, but because we had a big meeting this afternoon. An important meeting, one that I wasn't looking forward to. I had to face the big guys today. Yes, Chelsea is going to big girl school ... soon. I thought I was ready for it, and I could do this, but then they asked if she could come the week of December 1st. This leaves me with a mere 2 1/2 weeks to prepare for this.

The thought of sending my baby to her big girl school in a couple of weeks just overwhelms me. In all fairness we did miss out on some of our time together, and maybe that's why this is feeling so difficult. So at the first of the month I will send her on her way. I have to buy her a backpack for goodness sake, a backpack! I will likely stay her first day. This girl of mine has never gone to daycare or preschool, so this will be brand new. The only time I've left her is with family or friends, or at the hospital with nurses who she knew well and felt comfortable with. I really don't think she'll be scared, but I would feel better if I knew she was comfortable in her new environment before I left. Surely there's an abandonment law somewhere about dropping kids off at preschool and leaving on the first day.

Her first week will just be a week of observing and evaluations. This will help the educators to write her IEP (Individualized Education Plan). The IEP is where we decide what services and therapies she will receive and it's a place to document goals for her. She will attend this week, then not again until after her birthday, January 10th. Fortunately for mom it's a slow transition. This one is hard. This is big, and for some reason I feel like this is it. Once I hand her over to school, she's grown up, she's a big girl and I no longer have my little girl. I may never have another baby, so I'm not sure I want to let go of this one.

4 comments:

My Three Sons said...

As hard as it is, this to is part of life. I remember watching Coltan get on the bus and I was so sad. Even though kindergarten is 1/2 days, I was thinking how that 4 hours felt like forever. Then I had to worry about Cody because after all, they are only 11 months apart so they were best friends. As hard as it seems now, it will get easier as she continues to go. Take care and remember your a great mother!

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

This is such a hard time for every mom with every kid. I think though that with Chelsea it will be even harder. She is special and after all you have been through you are going to be pretty much not just handing them your baby, but your heart as well.

Chelsea is going to do awesome. It is Mom who will have the hard time. Even though this is the moment you dread, it is also the moment you have been working for so enjoy it and celebrate all she is and has become.

datri said...

I think sending kids off to school is harder on moms than it is on the kids. They grow up so fast, even with "delays"!

All 4 My Gals said...

I remember that feeling! Our school had an observation room and it took me several weeks to leave. :) HUGS and I think it's good for you to stay the first day so that they can get to know her through your eyes. HUGS