Saturday, November 15, 2008

Today

Logan didn't have school today, so we had to change our plans for the day, because having Logan here just changes that. Instead of taking me 30 minutes to fold my laundry, it took 1 1/2 hours to fold the two loads of laundry this morning. That's just life with two ornery, non stop, fighting, carrying on, screaming and crying children. A little bit of caffeine and I was able to get the situation under control finally.

Then I got a quick reality check this morning. A friend of mine sent me an email to let me know that our dear friend, Kerry, passed away. I've talked about Kerry before, she's the beautiful young lady who can light up any room with her smile and charm. I am so glad we attended her Make A Wish party last May. It was her quincinera, her 15th birthday party. She was ravishing at her party, and that is how I will always remember her. I was thinking about both Kerry and our friend baby McKensie today. I know neither of them knew that their time here would be cut short, but I find it ironic that they both lived life to the fullest. There are some people you meet in your lifetime that are full of life. You know them, and you always remember them. These two girls lived every single day that they were here with us, and they shared their exuberance with others whether they intended to or not.

The last time we saw Kerry, was May 29, almost 6 months ago. Chelsea and I were saying goodbye to all of our friends on 4H, and on the way out we passed McKensie's room. Of course we stopped and wished them well, blew kisses, talked to mom, and said our goodbyes. As we left their room, the nurse stopped us and said that Kerry was in the room next to McKensie and wanted to see us. She had just come from surgery to place another central line and was still in a fog from the sedation. Kerry and her mom were eating food from McDonald's and of course Chelsea hopped up on Kerry's bed to see what she had. Kerry gave her a french fry. Her first McDonald's french fry. Would you know Miss Chelsea almost finished off Kerry's fries, and from that day on she has been a complete french fry fanatic!

I never thought that would be the last time I would see Kerry and McKensie. I'm so glad we stopped and were able to see them that day. They were both looking beautiful as always, and they were healthy. Healthy that is for a patient with leukemia. It is nice to have those memories of the girls. I know they both became very ill and were not much like themselves during the end of their lives, but I will always remember them for the gorgeous, life loving angels they were.

*edited to add: pictures of "project McKensie" coming soon. It should be completed this week!

1 comment:

My Three Sons said...

I know what you mean about life being to short. That is heartbreaking to hear another young life was taken by cancer.

As I sit here today on day 14 of being homebound, I'm thankful that we are home and not in the hospital. I actually thought about you today when I was planning our day of getting out and remembered how long you and Chelsea were in the hospital. I'm glad that you are not living that life anymore. Your home with your family once again.

I'm very thankful that somewhere in our journey our paths have crossed and we share our lives with each other.

Take care and I hope you are able to get your laundry caught up. :-)