Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Seriously People!

Chelsea and I ventured out to our first post cancer parents as teachers playgroup. Most of the kiddos were younger than her, but she didn't even notice. She had a great great time. That's what's important right? Why is it I can't get over the little things? At the end of the group, we sit in a circle, read a book, and get a snack. As soon as we all sat in the circle, I noticed three, count them THREE different parents eyeing Chelsea. It wasn't the awww, your kiddo is so cute look. It was more of a, close your damn mouth and stop staring at my kid kind of staring. I think she needs a new t-shirt that reads:

YES, I HAVE DOWN SYNDROME, AND I KNOW I'M SUPER CUTE ...SO STOP STARING!

What do you think? Ryan says it's too long. Maybe I'm not one to be in the t-shirt business, but you get my point right?!

Let me put it in perspective though, how could you NOT stare at this cutie patootie?!


What do you think about those $3 garage sale boots? Wow!


Hey mom, why are you squatting down like this with the camera? (I rarely get a good photo of her standing b/c she's always squatting down or sitting down like I am trying to take the picture!)

9 comments:

Mom24 said...

I'm not in your shoes, and I'm acutely aware that I'm in no position to offer assvice, but here goes anyway...maybe, through their staring, they're educating themselves about what Down Syndrome really is. Maybe, being around you and Chelsea, their minds will be opened and they'll learn the reality of who someone with DS can be. Maybe, if they ever find themselves personally touched by someone they love having a diagnosis of DS they'll remember and share that memory and a life will be deemed worth living. I don't know if that helps or not, but that's how the situation struck me. Don't get me wrong, I still wouldn't be thrilled with the staring, but maybe it will help to look at it like that.

Anonymous said...

Carey -
I think she gets cuter by the picture you post. Tell those other moms to go pound sand!
Blessings - Amy Stapp

Rachel Dominguez said...

OMGosh I love her boots! I want some for Melana. Where ever did you find those.

She looks so cute in this little outfit I could just come snatch her up.

What a doll baby!

Rachel

My Three Sons said...

I know that being in the medical field years ago that I'm aware of DS. I don't feel that I treat a down's child any different. I know they can funtion just like everyone else. With that being said, it's too bad other people can't see the beauty of all people and be a little more sensitive.

sarah said...

I choose to always believe people are staring because Braeden is so absolutely adorable!! Even when I know their not! I have the tendency to say "improper" things to rude people at times so this way I'm saving myself! As far the the t-shirt goes count me in, if their staring anyway they'll have plenty of time to read it!! Chelsea as always is just a absolute doll!!

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

How about a t-shirt that says,

"I'm cute! I know it! You could be too if you stop your damn staring!"

She looks so stinking grown up in these pics. When the heck did that happen? I just saw her a few days ago and here she is now looking grown up.

I am still voting for the short hair. That little pixie hair just fits her personality so well.

Cute! Cute! Cute!

Heather said...

Mark and I talk about this all the time.Zoey first gets the "oh isn't she a cute baby" look,followed by the quick second glance and stare a a possible tug of the sleeve of the person they are walking with to go along with it ... like they have NEVER seen a child with Down syndrome before!We think we should wear the t-shirt that says "A, yes ...she has Down syndrome!"I wish I could give them the benefit of the doubt that their stares were because she was so cute but a can't.Maybe it's the big chip on my shoulder that doesn't allow but honestly,I am so SICK of it.I love the pictures and I love this girl.She is absolutely so dang cute!!!

Shari said...

She is definitely CUTE! Love her expressions! The first thing I noticed were her boots. I love them and they look 'so her'.

Wendi said...

Way too adorable. Some people in this world just have no respect for others. They need to educate people more on manners. You would not believe how many times a day I hear the "R" word but believe me I let them know how it offends me. Chelsea is a part of our family now and we will stand up for her. But its like you said she is just way too adorable to not stare at. You've got one sweet angel. Take care.