My anxieties were on the rise once we arrived in clinic today. I noticed Chelsea felt a tad warm, so of course I panic she's going to get a fever. Why am I worried about fevers? I really don't know, I shouldn't be. Then when the nurse put her wrist band on I noticed some spots on her wrist, and sure enough, I knew immediately it was petechiae. Remember those broken blood vessels under the skin that look like little red dots, usually indicating low platelets? It was all over her wrist for some reason, and I really started to freak with the rash issues she's had lately. I was thinking I was going to have to be sat down for the talk again, and I was wondering how they were going to do it.
Praise the Lord, her platelets were NORMAL!!!! 307 thousand to be exact! Even her white blood count is up to 4.34, almost normal (normal is 6-10)!!! Her ANC was off the charts at 2,430! Remember during treatment it was usually ZERO? And each time she hit 1,000 they would hit her with chemo again, so for her to be up this high is wonderful!
We have no explanation for the mysterious petechiae. The only thought I have is that Logan made her cry this morning when I wasn't looking. I asked what he did and he said he just tapped her hand (er... hit her hand). I'm wondering if her twisted her wrist and left a bit of a raspberry type burn on her arm. He's pretty ornery, I wouldn't put it past him. When I asked him about it this afternoon, he had a huge grin on his face and said, "no, I just tapped her like this." And he modeled his 'tap' for me. I'm not buying it.
We were able to visit some friends today. While I was thrilled to visit with my mommy friends and to see the precious faces of their children, it was very emotional for me. Everyone asks what it's like to be off treatment, and my only answer is wonderful, but you never stop worrying. They get it, they understand. I did peek on our little angel McKensie. She was resting peacefully in her grandma's arms. I didn't want to bother them, so I just peeked through the window and waved at grandma. She was able to communicate to me that McKensie is doing much better. She has a very long road ahead of her and is not out of the woods yet, so your continued prayers for McKensie and all the other children fighting cancer right now are appreciated. I miss all of our 4H friends. People I would have never met had Chelsea not had cancer. They are like me, we have an understanding, and a perspective that only cancer moms have.
My sister arrived safely in Guatemala today. She was home for the summer and is off to her next adventure. As I was driving home tonight, admiring the beautiful, almost full, moon, I wondered; does it look the same in Guatemala? Is it just as beautiful down there? I hope so Hannah. Have fun, good luck, and be safe!
Hello world!
3 years ago
9 comments:
That is such great news. Way to go Chelsea!!!! I just can't tell you how excited I am for you guys. What a great day it is.
KC
WONDERFUL news!!!
I'm totally jealous of Chelsea's platelet counts! Wow.
I totally get what you're saying - I'm so glad treatment is over. YET. I am always constantly on the lookout for the next big emergency or illness or or or ... It's hard to let my guard down.
Give Chelsea a big hug for us!
Peace to you Carey in these moments.So happy the counts were great!I wish I had those words of wisdom during your times of uncertainty,I do get it,trust me.Can you believe that Zoey had a white count of 150,000 when she was first admitted?A record in Children's Hospital history.One record I would have rather not have her hold.Something like "First child to never,ever be sick past he age of 18 months" might be nicer,not likely but nicer.Take care,she and YOU are doing great!!!
Yipppppeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited for you guys. I bet that was a pretty scary moment when you saw her wrist. That baby just keeps amazing us all, doesn't she???!!!
Give her a squeeze for us.
Oh yeah, I would have been panicking too! I tend not to worry too much in between times, but when it's time for a clinic visit my stomach always drops! I am thinking that will never go away!
I'm glad Chelsea's clinic visit went well. Logan better watch out, her lil sister is getting nice and strong....
You are so precious! I hope Hannah has a great trip.
I am so happy to hear nothing but GOOD news. Loving and Praying for Chelsea everyday must make a difference.
Keep up the great work Chelsea!
Rachel
Hi Carey,
Just dropping by to let you know that we are keeping Sweet Chelsea in our thoughts and prayers and to find out if you've seen this yet? :)
http://www.parenting.com/gallery/Baby/A-Special-Joy-9-Babies-With-Down-Syndrome/6
Post a Comment