Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Little Reminders

Yesterday at the grocery store Chelsea caught the attention of an older man. She was riding in the front of the green grocery truck cart having a blast. He was admiring her cuteness, then asked me, "how old is he?" I just smiled and answered, "two and a half." He continued to watch her and eventually turned to me and said, "oh it's a girl, I'm sorry, ... she." So I began with my typical reply.

"Oh, that's okay. Her hair is just growing back, she lost it all when she had chemo."

I get this quite often, this mix up of boy and girl, and while it really doesn't bother me, and I know it's not necessary to explain, I just like to see people's reactions. Then their jaw drops, and they really feel silly for calling her a boy. (giggle) I know, it's really not funny. But think about it, if I didn't have a sense of humor about the whole thing I would have never survived.

It's another reminder that my daughter survived cancer. Sometimes I wonder if an entire day will go by without thinking about it ... the cancer. I doubt it, and that's not a bad thing, having cancer on your mind daily. I have a special reminder staring into my eyes each and every day. My little angel, my blueberry eyes, my little princess in pink (short hair and all). She is my constant reminder to appreciate the little things, to slow down a bit and to breathe.

4 comments:

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Nothing wrong with explaining. I explain a lot, too! Not that we need to, but I think I understand just about the same.

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

I have had a day here and there where I don't think about cancer. Seriously. They're few and far in between, but they happen. Then with every bruise, every long nap, the word creeps back into my brain. Sneaky little thing it is! I hope your brain has a cancer free day soon!

Heather said...

Carey,she is a beautiful reminder.Although we wish you all and Chelsea especially, did not have to endure all you did,that you didn't have little nagging worries,I know you are ,in the end blessed, for you now appreciate and live life in ways not many could imagine.

Rachel Dominguez said...

I think she Totally looks like a girl! All the time! Even when she was bald! She's absolutely precious and I call her one of my kids. I just love her and dont even know her (other than the blog).

You are a great lady...very strong and you handled that comment with great Maturity. Be proud of your self!

Rachel