Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Challenges that Come

I've been reflecting lately on community. Our children first join a community when they are born, they become part of a family. A family is a place where a child feels loved, respected and safe. As they grow, we gradually hand them over to another type of community at school. Once children are in school, they become a member of a classroom community. Again, they should feel safe in this community as well as respected. As they delve into adulthood, they are then sent off to explore their lives as individuals and become part of a bigger community. A community in which we hope they will successfully contribute.

My first born has just stepped out into a classroom community. I couldn't be prouder, he seems to be doing well. He is making friends and still likes his teacher. But it's not my son I'm worried about. I'm worried about the attitudes of the members of my son's new community.

On the first day of school I received the same surprising response regarding special education children from three people. A parent in the classroom, the paraeducator and the classroom teacher all had the same concern about the high number of students in this years Kindergarten class. While 24 students is a lot of Kindergarteners in one class, they all agreed that it was really only 22 kids b/c two of the kids are special ed. and won't be in the classroom all of the time.

Just like that. Two children with disabilities have been excused. They were discounted. How can this be acceptable? Because they have special needs and leave the classroom for part of their day, doesn't make them any less part of the community. Those two girls still have a seat in the classroom, they still have their crayon box, a backpack. They are members of the class, so why are they being discounted in this way? I am sad for these girls, and their families. This is not how I would want Chelsea to start her first year of school. I am even more saddened for the school community. Do the attitudes of these three people reflect the attitudes of the entire school? Does the rest of the staff share these feelings?

At our parent night tonight I did hear the classroom teacher refer to the classroom as a complete 24 students, and I truly do not think she is one to value these children any less. I am not sure about the other parent, or the para. I feel this is a sign of things to come. While I have time before Chelsea begins Kindergarten, I now feel obliged to change the attitudes of our school community. For if our children can not feel accepted, respected and safe in their classroom, how can we expect them to successfully contribute to their community as an adult?

9 comments:

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

Wow...you should have wrote my post yesterday on my blog. That was exactly what was bothering me yesterday. I don't know if you had a chance to read my post but it boils down to a comment that one of the para's in Kaden's classroom made to Kaden's nurse. The nurse was asking questions about the pre-K class for me because I was thinking of putting Kaden in that class next semester to prepare him for Kindergarten. The reply the nurse got was that the class was for the peer models,
"not for children like Kaden." She went on to say that she believes Kaden will be in the special needs class next year as well.

Let me tell you, I was highly upset. Kaden is one of the brightess children I know, and my biggest fear is for him to be "pushed aside" because of people judging him by his appearance. I have said it for the longest time now that I will not allow the school district to hold Kaden back, there is no reason to. He truly is very intelligent and amazes me all of the time. It is so frustrating as parents to have someone limit your child when you know that your child should be free to learn and grow just as any other child has the right. I didn't post the comment on our blog because I haven't spoken to the teacher yet, but I am not a big fan of how this year is going so far.

Thank you for speaking out. Like I said you said exactly what was on my mind. Maybe some of the educators out there will read it and LEARN!!! "DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER."

Sorry to vent on your comment page. Your post just really hit home.

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

I just read your post below, about Ryan's tools. That is ridiculous. I can't believe people are so sticken rude these days!!! AHHHHH

The Bryant Family said...

Tucker starts school on the 15th of Sept. He will start riding a bus...I was impressed that they called his bus the small bus not the short bus-I am hopeful that this is a sign of things to come. I have had all the IEP meetings with the teacher and therapist. He will attend 3 hours a day 4 days a week. I truly hope and pray that our school doesnt have that same outlook as I would have to set someone straight. Our kids are people too, they have feelings and opportunities that should not be crushed by those who are uneducated. I especially would have gone off on the para who would have been in the classroom with my child. I am glad we have people, moms, like you that stand up. We are their advocates....and you do an awesome job.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Not that I am making excuses for their their words, but how much time do these other children have in that classroom? Gabi has 2 classrooms. She has her special needs class which consists of the majority of her day and then she has her other classroom which she is only there for short periods and not every day. I don't really consider Gabi as part of that class, I consider her a visitor because of the short time that she is there. Here home classroom is the one she spends the most time in my eyes. I just thought that maybe that might be the situation there as well.

datri said...

I've been trying to get our local elementary to do some disability awareness since last year. The principal usually blows me off. A couple weeks ago I sent an email regarding the R word and the whole Tropic Thunder protest to all of the school administration. I got some very encouraging responses back, especially from the new superintendent (she is a believer in inclusion!). So I hope to get the "culture" at the local elementary ready for Kayla before she attends in 2009. There is already a girl with DS starting Kindy there this year, and I can't wait to see how it goes with her. Of course, that girl is very "high functioning" as they say (I hate that phrase) while Kayla has signficant issues.

Heather said...

Although school is a ways away for Zoey I so appreciate coming and hearing about others experiences and how things were or were not handled.I am sorry anyone,any child,any parent has to be subjected to the ignorance of others. All this helps me prepare and allows me to advocate for not only Zoey but all child and people like and unlike her, just trying to find their way in this great big world. So thanks Carey and ...... give 'em hell!

Anonymous said...

Thats surprising, especially that the para in the classroom would discount the two girls like that. Maybe a parent might not know any better, but someone working in the classroom should! It almost makes it sound like the two little girls are just guests in the classroom when they're there!

Anonymous said...

Posting as both a parent of a SN child and a classroom teacher. The comment, as though may sound unkind coming from the teacher, in reality, may not be her true intentions. Looking at it from the view point of a teacher, it is not because the SN children are not valued or wanted, but it is harder to meet the needs of 24 kids with the SN children needing special education needs to encourage their development. The teacher may have been referring to core classes such as math and reading which are harder to keep slower cognitive children on pace, all the while challenging the advanced and pushing the 'average' student. I doubt she wants to exclude or toss aside the SN children, but probably is incredibly worried that she will not be able to meet their needs in the core classes with such a large class.

Just something to consider.

Of course, if the comments were intended in an exclusion attitude, then yes, the staff should be corrected immediately!!!

Keep being your children's advocate!

Anonymous said...

Wow, being a teacher, and a teacher who uses a wheelchair and has special needs, I totally think that to discount anyone is totally inappropriate in this day and age. All kiddos should be able to preform to the best of their abilities in the general education setting. We now have the multi-tiered approach to learning that not only holds that classroom teacher accountable but also everyone on his/her team or community. All too often I have heard from several teachers that they struggle to teach 'those kiddos.' Unexceptable! Learning for all whatever it takes!
smiles...
Amanda