Remember when I wrote about how crummy it is around here, how everyone is always sick. Then remember when Heather commented under that post, never a dull moment? Well I couldn't say it better. Monday night I stayed up way too late updating my blog. I finally hit the sack around midnight. Not for long though. Had I known we were going to end up in the ER that night I would have gone to sleep a lot earlier. You see I gave Logan some benedryl Monday night to help dry up some of his drainage. The added bonus of benedryl? It makes you drowsy and helps you get some good deep sleep.
Logan was sleeping so deeply, he rolled right off of the side of his bed. Actually not right off, kind of out and off. You see his room is kind of small and cramped, so his train table was only about a foot from his bed. It's the home made kind of train table, homemade late one Christmas Eve. The corners aren't rounded, in fact they're pretty sharp. Do you know where I'm going with this? Yep, sliced open the corner of his eye. Ryan and I jumped out of bed as we always do when one of them shreiks like he did and by the time I hurdled his toys to get to him, he was covered in blood.
I picked him up, holding his face to my chest and got him into the bathroom. Daddy wet a wash cloth so we could try to get the bleeding to stop. It was everywhere and it wasn't stopping in a hurry. Logan was crying and screaming, I was screaming at Ryan, "what if it's his eye, and he can't see?!!!" I couldn't tell where all the blood was coming from and I envisioned the worst. In a panic I told Ryan to call the neighbor so we could get him to the hospital. After fumbling around in the kitchen for a minute he came back in announcing he couldn't find their number. Of course he couldn't, I keep that number in my head. It's one of the few numbers Ryan hasn't memorized. I'm not sure why, he can memorize any other number. Instead he called his mom to come watch Chelsea so we could go. We knew it would take her a little time to get there, so in a bloody panic I noticed the neighbors across the street had their light on, so I ran over there to get help. No answer. They had already left on their paper route.
By this time Chelsea was wide awake in her crib. She was crying, obviously scared with all the commotion. Once Ryan and I were dressed, we sat on the front porch waiting for Grandma. Chelsea was up walking around, wondering what was going on, we had been through a few washclothes on his face and the bleeding had slowed. We could see that it wasn't coming out of his eye, but the corner of his eye was sliced open and he would definitely need stitched up.
Daddy flew through the empty streets while I sat in the backseat holding the rag on his face. Logan was calmed down a little by now, but still freaking out at the thought of stitches. I tried to calm him down telling him about when I got stitches as a kid. As inquisitive as ever, the questions began. Almost 3 in the morning, and he was wide awake asking me every question he could think of. why did you fall off the deck? how do they put stitches in? does it hurt? what does it feel like? And he didn't stop there. Once we arrived at the hospital, he questioned the nurse that checked us in, the administrator who took our insurance info, even the doctor got harped about the quality of hospital snacks.
The doctor was pleased that the cut was a nice even slice and while it looked deep and gaping open, she thought she could glue it with dermabond. It looks like a tiny glue stick, and they drop a few drops in the wound, then squeeze the skin together from both sides of the cut, and it stuck together like magic. It was quite amazing actually, I'd never seen that done before. It would be nice to keep some of that in our medicine cabinet! Logan did really well with it, considering he doesn't have a very high pain tolerance. He screamed when she cleaned it with the cold sterile cloths, but quickly realized that didn't hurt, it was just cold. Then when they were gluing it, he freaked for a minute. I had to hold his head still, while he screamed, it was in a bad place, I was afraid it was dripping in his eye and I would imagine that would be pretty painful. At that point he was screaming at the doctor, "Stop. I'm going home! Take me home, NOW!" He was very demanding, but we made it through. Now, two days later, this is what we've got. That is some strong super glue! It looks a little funky and bubbly because some of his tears dripped in it before it dried. It looks good other than that though!
Hello world!
3 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment