Saturday, June 21, 2008

Labs and Cultures

Yesterday I took Chelsea to our local hospital. They ran labs and blood cultures, something we were planning for Monday, I just asked if we could move it up a few days. She is still having some, what I would call "flushing" of her skin. Not just her face appearing flushed, but her whole body, especially her arms, legs and the top of her head. That was one of the things she did very badly with her last bad line infection, so I was worried she may still have some kind of infection in her blood. Not overly worried, I just wanted to check it out before the weekend. She of course has had no other signs, no fever and is eating fine. So far ... 28 hours out, no phone call, so that means the cultures are still negative, woohoo!

Her labs looked great too. Her ANC was down from 1400 to 1200 after a week and a half since our last check. Also her white blood count was down from 2.9 to 2.6. Not exactly the direction we were hoping things to go, but honestly I wonder if that's a good sign. I'm thinking maybe it was a little elevated last time b/c of the bug they found in her blood and it's back down to where it would have been otherwise now that she's had oral antibiotics. Nothing to worry about though, her platelets (480) and hemoglobin (12.6) were great! Well within normal values. So now if we can get that white count up just a smidge more, her blood counts will look like any other "normal" and "healthy" kid!

That's our quick update for now. She's been crabby the last few days. Just very willful, doesn't want to comply with ... well, anything. She's been sleeping a lot at night and ready for a nap just a few hours after waking, so I'm still a little worried about those darn blood cultures. If you could please pray that they will stay negative the next 24 hours that would be great! We really love the folks up on 4 Henson, but we really don't want to go back! That's what we're praying for this weekend!

5 comments:

Mary said...

Chelsea is in my thoughts and prayers. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll hear good news from you tomorrow.

Heather said...

Always praying Carey, no worries there.

My Three Sons said...

I will say an extra prayer for Chelsea. We were also at the hospital yesterday for Carson. He had an allergic reation and I had to rush him over to Children's South. So looks like I'm in the same boat as you. Taking care of our little ones. That's what we do best:-)
Kaci

The Foley Five said...

Ah yes we love Chelsea too but you're right... it's best not to come back... unless it's just for a quick visit!! :0)

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

Here is another special prayer for you all tonight.
Call if you need anything.