Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Good News!

I've got all kinds of news to share with you, and fortunately most of it is great news!

First, Chelsea has blown us away once again by recovering from her final round of chemo in record time. When we were released on Thursday her ANC was 10, yep 10 ... pretty scary as that is basically zero. Our home health nurse came to the house yesterday and took her blood, and you just won't believe the results ... ANC, 546!!!!! I know, I had to look at it again too, I asked the nurse if she could recalculate, I just didn't believe it. She's recovering well all around. Her hemoglobin is up to normal, 10.1, her platelets are 383, back to normal range as well. Her white blood count of course is still low, 2.1, but that's about as high as we're used to seeing it here lately. Thank God we don't have to go back for more chemo and we can let her little body recovery completely. I'm so excited to see all the new things she can do with her "new and improved" healthy little body! I'd imagine she'll walk better than ever, hopefully begin running, and maybe someday soon she'll start to jump!

Secondly, our sleeping is going much smoother. Everyone thinks when you come home from something like 157 days in the hospital that you should just lay in our own bed and sleep better than ever. That's just not the case though. Just like adjusting to sleeping in the hospital, we both had to readjust to sleeping at home again. It took me 3 nights to get a good night sleep, and about the same for Chelsea. She's sleeping through the night, and back to her 12 hour/night schedule. It's like heaven!

Now if you're wondering what's coming up? We talked to her oncology nurse today and we are scheduled to return to clinic next Wednesday, June 11. It will be a big day for us. Like the ultimate grand finale. They will use her picc line to sedate her and take another bone marrow sample. Nothing to worry about, just protocol, end of chemo aspiration to be sure the cancer is gone ... FOR GOOD! Then, if all goes well, we will say BYE BYE central line! Yes, they'll pull out her picc line and she will be tubie free! How amazing is that?! Can you guess what we'll be doing on June 12th? Swimming! Logan is going crazy, he's ready to spend so quality time in the pool.

My last bit of news isn't the greatest, actually it's a little prayer request. I'm really sure it's nothing, but in light of recent events, it's got me a little nervous. Ryan went to the dermatologist this afternoon to have a spot on his neck checked out. As we suspected, the doctor thought it looked suspicious of basal cell ... I haven't done a lot of research on it, but it is a type of skin cancer, and any type of cancer scares me to death lately. It's completely removable and fixable, and we don't forsee any problems, it's just a little scary thinking about the C word again. So we appreciate any prayers, and please use this as a reminder to wear your SUNBLOCK this summer! Until next time ...

9 comments:

Christina said...

So glad she is recovering so good! Praying for her appointment next week and for Ryan's spot.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Yay for Chelsea getting so well so quickly!

I will keep the bone marrow biopsy, Picc line removal, and Ryan's skin Cancer in prayer.

Yay Logan for being able to get to go swimming!

Danielle said...

I am so happy that Chelsea is home and recovering quickly! God is good!
I will be praying for Ryan and your family.

Heather said...

Keep that great news coming! She will flourish, thrive and blossom at home ........ just where she needs to be!

All our prayers and well wishes for a safe, healthy, fabulous, fun filled summer, Love Zoey and family

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

That is awesome news. I am sure Logan will be exstatic to have you guys home for good, and what better way to celebrate then by going to the pool!!!

As always your family is in my prayers, but I will say an extra one for Ryan.

My Three Sons said...

I came across your blog from Rhett and just wanted to say congrads to Chelsea. That has got to be the most wonderful news. My son has a lot asthma issues and I will also be at Children's on June 11th. We will be at the asthma clinic. Small world. Anyways, I read your blog and you have one lucky little blessing. She is absolutly beautiful. What a journey. I'm at Children's two-three times a month for my son so it's to bad I didn't read your blog sooner. I would have made it a point to come and find you and say hi. Please visit our blog anytime and maybe we will run into each other at the hospital.

Kaci

Rachel said...

That is amazing news on Chelsea! I will continue to pray for her...and I will pray for Ryan too!

LeAnne said...

WOW, what a journey you guys have had and I am thrilled that Chelsea is doing so well. Such a little trooper. YAY for finally getting some rest and being home FOR GOOD!!!! I can't wait to see that you guys were finally able to get in the pool and start enjoying Chelsea's new and improved healthy little body. I'm sure you are right, she will start to achieve new things with leaps and bounds. We will definitely put Ryan into our prayers. ENJOY HOME!!!

Natalie said...

So glad you guys are home and doing well! Record time no doubt Chelsea! Just have to say when I read it out loud to Dave and we both said yeah, Ellie was in my arms and started clapping...her newest recovered skill. So we are ALL cheering that you guys are home. On a side note, we will be at CMH on the 11th too for her swallow study. We'll talk soon.