Sure enough Missy spiked when I checked her right before laying down for the night. 101.6, so I called the oncology nurse on call again hoping to strike a bargain with her. "Please, can I give her some Tylenol and take her in to the dr. tomorrow morning?" I begged. Ummmm, NO. So off to the ER we went. Arrived at 10:45 and left at 2:45am. I'm functioning on very little sleep. In that four hours in the ER, here's what we learned.
Chest xray, clear.
Strep test, negative.
Blood cultures brewing right now.
They had a hard time getting blood, after two tries I requested a new nurse and she got good access in her foot. Her counts, well, they're about as unpredictable as Kansas weather.
June 11 - WBC - 2.9, ANC - 1440
June 20 - WBC - 2.6, ANC - 1200 (this surprised us as we expected it would have continued rising as her marrow recovers).
June 24 - WBC - 6.9, ANC - 4800 so it's back up, way up!
To me this just confirms she's fighting something. We already know she's fighting something b/c she has the fever. They were unsuccessful getting a UA with a bag stuck to her, but I seriously doubt she's got a urinary tract infection. The ER doctor gave us a script for an oral antibiotic, but the hemonc clinic nurse told us not to fill it. We'll just wait and see if her blood cultures grow anything (which they shouldn't). Seriously, I think she's fine, I'm sure it's just this little virus that Logan and I have. It's probably just making her white blood count high as her body tries to fight it off. She's warm again today, but no fever. I gave her a dose of Tylenol when we got home last night and she woke up with no fever! Her skin has also returned to it's normal color. It was very bright red last night, she looked like she had an awful sun burn.
Today, I slathered her in SPF 50 sunblock, let it soak in, then I took her out to play for a while this morning. She's back to being as red as a beet. I feel bad, like I shouldn't take her out at all, but she has so much fun playing outside. I'm hoping when this "virus" or whatever it is passes, her skin won't be as sensitive. She's acting pretty worn out and not eating her lunch. Maybe she'll take a good nap. I wish more than anything she could talk to me and tell me what's going on. I'm ready for her to just tell us, it's a sore throat, or my tummy hurts, or whatever it is. That's it for now. Grandma is going to hang out with Logan for a while so I can lay down while Chelsea naps this afternoon. Thank you Grandma!
Hello world!
3 years ago
4 comments:
I haven't visited in a long while, but I keep Chelsea in my prayers.
hugs.
Be gone virus, Little Miss Chelsea just wants to play!
Sounds like a very long night - I hope you & Chelsea were able to catch up on some rest today.
Hope she's feeling better SOON!
Isn't it amazing how differently a virus can affect two children? I hope Chelsea is feeling better.
Post a Comment