I'm so sorry I haven't had time all day to update. Chemo is FINISHED! I have so much to share; pictures, events, videos (if I can figure it out). But for now you'll have to wait because I am exhausted.
I do want to take the time to share a little story with you though. If any of you read the comments of this blog you may have noticed that I get quite a few comments from my friend Julia. She's such a sweetheart, and you may be surprised to hear that she's only a 4th grader! Her teacher is very special to us and has been friend and neighbor of ours since I was an ornery trouble making teenager. (In fact I used to babysit her kids ... who are now graduating ... from college!) Getting back to Julia ... the students in her class along with their teacher, Mrs. C, read our blog often, and have been following Chelsea's story for months. I'm pretty sure most of the girls in the class have just fallen in love with Chelsea (like that's hard to do!)
They recently decided they wanted to do something to help Chelsea and her family (that would be us). With the help of their parents and permission from their excellent teacher, they set up a fundraiser bake sale!!! They made signs and hung them all over the school, they sent notes home with the kids, and even made announcements over the intercom to get the entire school to participate. These kids spent last week planning, baking and preparing for their sale, which they held one day after school last week. My mom, Grandma Barb ("Bob"), stopped by to check out the sale and said she was shocked to see FOUR tables set up full of bake sale items! Almost all the kids from Mrs. C's class were able to stay after school and help sell!
Then today, my mom drove up to the hospital to help us celebrate for Chelsea's 'end of chemo' party and she presented us with the money that they earned. You should have seen the surprise on our faces when Ryan and I heard that they earned OVER $500!!! Can you believe it, in ONE day!!! I think those kids may just have a future in business, or maybe the stock market! Or maybe, you just never know, one of them could become a doctor and discover the cure for childhood cancer! I wouldn't be surprised at all.
To all of the children in Mrs. C's class, to the parents, the teachers, and all of the other students who helped make the bake sale a success, thank you, from the bottom of my heart. Just knowing that we have such unbelievable support from our community is amazing. While we're done with chemo now, we continue to incur expenses with trips to and from the hospital that will continue over next few months, maybe even the next year, and thanks to you, it all becomes a little bit easier.
So I leave the students in Mrs. C's class with a little story problem. (Oh come on, you all know I'm a teacher right?) If our car gets 18 miles/gallon, how many trips to the hospital can we make with $500?
*I don't really know how many miles/gallon we get, just pretending ;) And because I know you're all internet savvy kids, I purposely left some information out, so you'll have to look it up! Check out this link and this one too for a little bit of help! ... If you need more help, leave me a comment and I'll give you a couple of clues, but I really think you can do this one on your own!
Hello world!
3 years ago
9 comments:
Wow. For two reasons, wow. I am so happy Chelsea's finally done with chemo!!!!! I can't even imagine the relief and joy you and your family must be feeling right now (even though you're too tired to feel much of anything, I'm sure!), but here in blogland I'm thrilled and looking forward to those "healthy Chelsea" storied! Also, "wow" for what those students did! Amazing! I can't imagine making that much in a bake sale, but they definitely had the right motivation!
Sammi sends air kisses. :-)
Wow - those are some great kids and what a great thing to do!!!!
Yay for Chelsea that you are done!! You are such an amazing little girl and I think anyone who reads your story falls in love with you!! I know I have!!!
Thinking about you guys and hoping all continues to go well!
How wonderful!!
I'm so glad that Chelsea is done with Chemo! Yay!
congrats on finishing chemo! whoo hoo!! Wish we lived closer for the end-of-chemo party!
How awsome what those kids did w/the bake sale!
YIPPEEE!!!! SO glad to hear Chelsea's done with chemo!
How wonderful about the bake sale. That is amazing!!
I am touched!!!! But I couldn't have done it without my amazing mom, teacher and FRIENDS!!!! They were soooo supportive of my idea. Carey have you already had the end-of-chemo party cause I would LOVE to meet Chelsea. I remember last year when you would come to the lunchroom withChelsea when she was really little. I can't put my finger on what she looked like but Mrs. Chilson reminded me what you looked like. I hope you keep posting on your blog because I would Love to hear stories of silly Chelsea.
Love, Julia
Oh, and also, I am in 5th grade this year. Last year I was in 4th. But I was blessed in having Mrs. Chilson 2 years in a row.!!!
Julia
Yea!!! I am glad that Chelsea is done with the chemo...way to hang in there sweetheart. And what about those students...how amazing it is to know that there are such wonderful children willing to put others first. Thinking of you all.
Amy
That's so awesome that Chelsea is done chemo!
(I know I mostly lurk around here, but I just wanted to say hi, and tell you how awesome Chelsea is!)
Post a Comment