We were having a good time playing with one of Chelsea's buddy's in the playroom this afternoon when I heard that one word that I dread hearing. A parent was describing something and said, "but it was retarded." As always, my jaw dropped, my eyes popped out and I expected him to stop and ask what was wrong, but he hardly noticed my shock and continued talking. I said "What did you say?" He replied, "it was retarded, ... dumb." Now I was really floored and I had to stop him and explain. "That word offends us," I started, "you see clinically, Chelsea is considered r*****, and we don't really think she's dumb." He quickly apologized and continued talking. I'm not sure he was even phased. He was likely a little embarassed, and will probably think twice before using that word again, but I'm not sure I made the impression I wanted to. So in case I haven't made the impression on you yet, I wanted to share something with you. It is a speech written by a young man about the use of the R-word. You see, it's very hurtful to many of us. So please, just don't use it.
Hello world!
3 years ago
3 comments:
I am so sorry you had to go through that AGAIN!! People are so insensitive!!!
Hope Chelsea is having a good day!!
That is a wonderful video and speech by that young man. I am sure it has opened many eyes.
Amen sister! You sound like me when I see someone who doesn't need it park in a space reserved for people who need it, and I tell them they could possibly really need that parking space one day!
I also do not like the r word, and it needs to be banned from language, but people use it in a descriptively slang way not realizing what the word is really associated with-stigma. I like to tear down stigmas, and make people more aware of what they are saying.
My dad's brother was severely crippled with polio during the polio epidemic, and you should hear some of my dad's memories of the numerous things they had to endure-alot of cruel ignorance. It's the only time I've ever seen my dad cry. All of it very heartbreaking.
Stigma's stink!
Post a Comment