Friday, May 30, 2008

Home at Last

Can you believe it? WE ARE FINISHED! There is just so much to say, so much to share, the past 36 hours have been a whirlwind of emotions. May 29th will be a date forever sketched in our memories, a day we have awaited for so long. We have beat this cancer, and there is no looking back. Everyone on 4 Henson helped us get out of the hospital in no time, it was the earliest discharge ever! After a few frustrations with the pharmacy, and 3 wagon loads, we were on the road. I called Ryan to let him know we were an hour away because he said he was going to take off of work early to meet us here. Well, him and everyone else! Grandma and Grandpa C. and Grandma Barb were at home with Ryan and Logan awaiting our return.

It was quite a drive. Chelsea fell asleep before we got on the highway, so I was left alone driving with my thoughts. As I turned onto the highway near our house, I lost it. I just couldn't stop crying. Then to turn onto our street and the familiarity of it all made my heart skip a beat. I was sobbing as we reached our house. I pulled into the driveway and there everyone stood on the front porch. They had balloons and signs decorating the outside and inside of the house. They even created a "finish line" for me to drive through. Ryan got Chelsea out of her seat, and we all just stood there and held each other for a moment, Chelsea in our arms and Logan wrapping himself around our legs. (He would have been in our arms too, but I wasn't sure it would be a great idea to let him share his little frog friend with his sister) ...

As I predicted, Leaving the hospital was difficult as well. There's a relationship formed between families when your children have cancer. Spending so much time with them made it hard to leave. It felt like we were leaving them behind. I wish I could make it all go away. We will continue to stay in contact with you and will visit when we return for clinic visits!

And to answer a few questions:
* yes, I will continue to blog! There's so much more I haven't had time to post, and I'm also working on some special projects reflecting Chelsea's journey.
* I don't know the name of the song from our slideshow, it was put together by our photographer ... does anyone else?

While I didn't have my camera out for our surprise coming home party yesterday, Grandma did, so as soon as I get them I'll be posting some very exciting homecoming shots!

19 comments:

Jen said...

The song is called: Brighter than Sunshine. Here is a link to the lyrics. http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/aqualung/brighterthansunshine.html

I'm so happy you guys are home for good now. Congratulations!!

Becca said...

Congratulations, and welcome home!

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

What a wonderful day for you all! Such a different day than the day you found out she had cancer. Your family has been blown apart, devastated and then resurrected, better, stronger and more alive than ever. Isn't it amazing that your battle with cancer left you more alive than you could have imagined?!

Thank you for letting us all come along with you and share a little piece of what you have all gone through. I promise you that you all have changed a lot of lives already.

Give them all a squeeze for us and check your cell phone. I left a message for you. Can't wait to see you all!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful News!! Way to go Chelsea!!! Matt (Bella's dad)

Anonymous said...

We are so glad to hear you are home! Way to go Chelsea. We are blessed to have met you during this journey, know we will continue to keep you in our daily prayers.
Blessings - The Stapps

Megan said...

We are jumping for joy for you Chelsea. You are quite an amazing little girl!!
Love and Prayers Always
Megan

Heather said...

We cannot wait to ride this next leg of the journey right along with you. What a joy it will be to see Chelsea blossom where she is meant to ...... home. We are amazed by all of your strength, resiliency, optimism, and courage. You have been an inspiration, when at times we know you would rather not have been. Take a breathe, take in and know our prayers continue.

Sandi said...

Oh happy day! I'm so glad to read that your family is back together and Chelsea is well. Congrat's!

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

I am so happy you guys are home...for good. I know that it is such an overwhelming emotion to be driving home knowing that you can now continue to live your life. YEA!!! I am so excited for you guys. What a blessing to have won the fight.

Jacquie said...

Wtg Chelsea for showing cancer it couldn't mess with her!

Your homecoming sounded perfect, the finish line so appropriate.

Kari said...

Congrats! YAY!!!!!! So happy to read it's over! Your amazing Chelsea!

Ballerina Girl said...

OH!!! I'M SOO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!!you guys are so strong!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo ~Julia~

Michelle said...

Oh my gosh. I'm so excited for you, so happy for all of you! Reading this post made me tear up! It's so bittersweet moving on, isn't it?! Such a huge part of Chelsea's life - and now it's behind her. SO SO HAPPY!!

Beth said...

Congratulations to you all and especially Chelsea for a fight well fought (and won!!)!!!! We will continue to pray for you all that everything stays well. Will continue to check blog for updates on you all!

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO CHELSEA!!! We're SOOOO Glad your home! Happy to hear the family is all together again!!
Love,
The Anderson Family

Nora said...

So now i´m sitting here in old Vienna, far away from you and your familiy, crying because i´m so glad that chelsea is home and that there´s so much you can leave beind and start a new chapter in your life - hugs & kisses to your little princess, ypur superhero-girl!
Nora

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

So glad that you are home!!!

WheresMyAngels said...

So glad to hear this news!

Anonymous said...

Congrats that Chelsea is done treatment. She's a beautiful little girl.