Tuesday, April 22, 2008

We're Home!

We're home! We actually got home around 4:30, but things have been moving quickly around here so I haven't had time to update. We drove up to the Children's hospital b/c it just seems easier. Yes, it's over an hour away, but it's worth it. Previously when we've had to go to the local hospitals, they get rather flustered when they meet Chelsea. They see toddler, Down syndrome, cancer, hickman catheter, low white blood count, neutropenic ... etc. etc. and they're just not prepared to take care of her (to my standards ;) So at Children's, they drew labs and took cultures from each line (her Hickman in her chest has two tubies, one red and one white). If she has an infection in her line it won't show until at least tomorrow, possibly up to 48 hours. Her labs, were once again showing a huge increase. Her ANC was 5,100!!! That's double yesterdays count.

The nurse practicioner wasn't worried at all and she just told me that shows Chelsea's marrow is recovering and is ready for the next round. I'm still not convinced though and want to be sure nothing grows from the cultures before we knock out her bone marrow again with chemotherapy. I thought they would give her a high dose of antibiotics to get her by for 24 hours just in case it is a bacteria in her line, but they didn't. They just sent us home and said we'll call if something grows. I asked what I should do if she spikes a fever again after the Tylenol wears off, and they said, call us back. Great.

Luckily, she hasn't spiked again. I'm sure I won't sleep much tonight, I'll be in checking her often. She spiked so quickly this morning, it was out of nowhere. I had just checked her 20 minutes earlier, then all of a sudden she was burning up. So I guess best case scenario is that her counts ARE truly recovering, she has a little virus and her body will be able to naturally fight it off and she'll be fine.

Ryan and I are preparing for anything though. Just in case we get that call tomorrow and have to take her back in to the hospital, we took Logan out for pizza tonight and gave him his birthday present. He had no arguments about an early gift! He was absolutely beaming, he loved his gift! Pictures and more on his birthday to come!

No comments: