Negative cultures ... mean pic line tomorrow! 1pm. I've accepted the idea of the pic line and after holding her down to be stuck again, for the third time on the same arm that is already covered in bruises, I'm actually looking forward to it. It will be something temporary, but more permanent than an IV and we will be able to draw labs, administer chemo, fluids, antibiotics etc., with ease. Whew. I'll be so glad not to have to poke her again!
She's whining a lot in her sleep tonight, I'm not sure why, but I'm sure time will tell. Her BP was up a little today but is back down now and her cultures from Sunday are still negative. That tells us that it was a very good thing we got her line out and that her body has cleared out the infection! Please pray the cultures remain negative! If something pops up tonight, no pic line...
I guess I have forgotten to add anything about her cultures. They finally ID'd the cultures as a normal bacteria that grows on your skin. As for the sensitivity ... still nothing. For the longest time I thought we were waiting on that so we could be sure we knew we were on the right antibiotic, but yesterday they did say that the vancomycin that she is on is such a good drug there is rarely an organism it doesn't cover. I know what you're thinking, ... rare, that sounds like us huh? Well they're taking their chances and since the cultures are still negative it's looking good!
Ryan has been having an awful time with one of his teeth. A few months ago when his wisdom teeth were bothering him, there was so much pressure that one of his back molars actually broke. Not chipped, half of the tooth broke off. Well once again he's trying to wait out this whole cancer thing (hasn't he learned by now?) but the pain got to him. The dentist had to drill out a ton of nerve tissue that was exposed, it was pretty bad. He will either need to have the tooth pulled completely for a small fee, OR they can fix it with a crown for 10 TIMES the cost!!! Can you guess which option he's leaning towards? My husband can be pretty cheap sometimes. I told him if he's that cheap, I could probably figure out a way to pull the tooth for free! He might just need to take a double dose of that pain medicine first, and then give me some pliers, and we'd be good! Seriously though, I'm going to push for working out a payment plan with the dentist, I don't want him toothless before he's 40! He doesn't think he'll miss it, but I just can't imagine. I really like my teeth and I'd like to hold on to ALL of them for as long as possible. Yikes!
So that's our drama for now, I'll update tomorrow after Chelsea's pic placement. Remember to say a prayer for her tomorrow afternoon, thanks!
Hello world!
3 years ago
4 comments:
I'll be thinking of Chelsea during her pic placement.
And I hope Ryan's teeth feel better. Ouch.
Hoping it all goes well and that Ryan gets to feeling better soon!!!
The 2 things that I can think of that are resistant to vanco is VRE (vancoymyacin resistant entercoccus) and a form of staph (it's mrsa that's resistant to vanco).
They would probably have figured either of those out a while ago if that was what she had.
I'm glad she'll get a pic. So much better than a reg iv (I had one for 6 weeks, getting vanco).
((HUGS))
Hugs to you all! I hope everything goes well and Chelsea can get started on this last round soon so that you all can put this part behind you.
We will be at Children's Friday morning. Do you need anything from home that we can bring you? I will call when we get there.
Love to al!
Post a Comment