Sunday, April 06, 2008

My Little Angel



I was asked by a friend of mine to write a letter about Chelsea and some of the wonderful things that come with raising a child with Down syndrome. She had encountered someone who was faced with a prenatal diagnosis of Ds and had been encouraged to terminate. I know that all of our children are different, whether they have Down syndrome or not, there is no umbrella that could predict the personality or health of a child with or without Ds. I hope no one thinks that I am conveying all children with Down syndrome are like Chelsea, they are as different from one another as you and I. I only want to give this mother just a little bit of hope. This is only a small piece of MY daughter and why I love her so much. I thought I'd share this letter with you.

I wanted to write you a quick note to tell you about my precious little angel. Her name is Chelsea, and she was born just over two years ago, with Down syndrome. We didn't know until after she was born, and we were devestated. Our devestation QUICKLY turned into joy as we learned just how special she was. We faced people, therapists, books, and articles that constantly stereotyped children with Down syndrome. The funny thing is though, everything they said she couldn't, or wouldn't do, she's done. She was rolling over at 6 weeks, which is a miracle for a child with "low" muscle tone. She used her first sign "milk" at 8 months, she crawled at one year and was walking by 18 months. Everyday she learns new things, and everyday she teaches us new things. Never has there been an educator, therapist or medical professional that hasn't been blown away by this little girl. There isn't a child, a woman, a grandparent, or a stranger that can resist her smile. She lights up every room she enters. I've had so many people tell me, "wow, she's just like a 'normal' kid"... SHE IS A NORMAL KID! I can't stress that enough, our children are more alike than they are different. She is my angel, I don't think I could live without her. She has changed me forever. I am a better rmother, wife, and friend because of Chelsea. She kisses me for picking her up, or for giving her a book, or just for walking in the door. My husband and I often talk about how strange it is that people feel sorry for us because our daughter has Down syndrome. After having her in our lives for two years, we wonder WHY anyone would want a child WITHOUT Down syndrome. You can't special order these kiddos, I truly believe we (all parents of children w/ Ds) are the luckiest people in the world.



(My mom, Grandma Barb, blowing bubbles w/ Chelsea.)

7 comments:

mjsuperfan said...

That's a beautiful post. She is so sweet and adorable.

Hope she enjoys the new Signing Time movies soon!

Michelle said...

What a lovely post - and the pictures are just adorable! She's looking really good. I hope you get to take her home soon!

Amy Flege said...

great letter! love chelsea's new spikey hair-do!!

Smurfy said...

I love your letter about Chelsea. I was 16 when I had my daughter, and she was born with DS. The doctors tried to get me to give her away telling me all sorts of things that were going to be wrong with her. And I believe she was given to me by God for a reason. She taught me so much, about unconditional love and being happy no matter what. She is now 22 and married.

I commend you for all your work and dedication with Chelsea.

Donna

amanda said...

I love your post, and my soul is drawn to children with D/S! It all started with a little boy about Chelsea's age when his older sib's were playing soccer with my oldest son years ago-I had SO MUCH FUN with him at those games-he was so smart! and so cute! I loved to play with him.

Since then my sister has a little boy who has a congenital brain abnormality, and slight brain damage from birth injuries-I'm so glad that we have him. My sister especially, and us (my family) hated it when someone either in our extended family, friends, or public people looked on us with pity, and that was so not the case! If they only knew how special it really is. Hayden will be 10 yrs old this yr, and he has blessed me, and my family in so many ways! Thanks for such a great post for others who may be expecting a special child!

I so adore the pic of the bubbles-if that was my pic I would have to "blow" it up! She's looking great, and I see that her hair is returning!

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Those are THE BEST pictures! I especially love the one with Grandma!

MammaMayMiller said...

I feel exactly the same about Thomas... I don't understand how people can feel sorry for us because we have a child with DS, when I actually feel sorry for them for not having experienced the richness of love and of blessing that is part and parcel of having a child with DS!! We are so priviledged to have these children in our lives aren't we?! I would love to have more. Maybe one day...
Do you know how your lovely letter was received btw?