Sunday, April 06, 2008

Faith

Never did I imagine we would sail through this journey unscathed. There's nothing easy about it.
My child had cancer. She beat cancer. She is surviving cancer.
Each treatment makes her a little bit weaker, makes me a little bit stronger, and brings our family a little bit closer.
Every day I wake up is another day I get hold her, another day to share her spirit, another blessing.
Chelsea's smile makes this a little bit easier, her laugh makes me breathe a little bit deeper, and each kiss opens my heart a little bit wider.
I realize she is remarkably well. She is happy, she is playful and she is loving life like never before. But I can see the change in her, the exhaustion. She will carry this with her forever, she is forever a child who fought cancer, and I will always appreciate her strength. Still I am not sure why she was chosen, why it happened to us, though someday I will probably understand. Right now we are so close to the end, I find it hard to fathom one more round, but it is that, only ONE more round. I pray that my baby will keep her strength, her charisma, her charm through this last round and we can put cancer behind us once and for all.

Chelsea at the start of round 2, already in remission AND Chelsea today, after round 5, still in remission.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Carey - what a beautiful post. I can't imagine how difficult this journey has been for all of you. I pray that you are able to put cancer behind you once and for all very soon. Thank you for sharing your journey and allowing us to be there along the way.

Hugs!

Christina said...

WOW! Carey, you got me all teary eyed at 7 am! I am praying for sweet Chelsea through this last round of chemo and for that cancer beast to stay away!

Ballerina Girl said...

She has grown soooo much. She does look a bit tired.xoxo Julia