For those of you wondering what our days here look like, come take a peek. I know you probably think I sit around watching soap operas and eating bon bons ... well ... I'll let you be the judge:
As I got Chelsea dressed this morning, I noticed her dressing was open along one side, exposing her central line ... so although she wasn't due for a dressing change until Saturday, we did a dressing change today.
First they put the hand sanitizing foam all over the dressing. The alcohol loosens the adhesive on the dressing.
This does not make her very happy, we better let it soak in for a minute, and turn on Signing Time to distract her.
Dressing is off, ouch that hurts! Notice we've got her held down, she's good at touching the area especially after we've cleaned it.
Speaking of cleaning, the nurse uses a sponge with cloraprep to clean the area. (what does cloraprep make you think of? clora ... clorox ... seriously, it can't feel very good on already irritated skin.)
Let it dry!
Here's the new dressing!
All done!
Now we have to draw some blood to verify her blood type before she gets any blood products ... what did it change since last time?
Yep, blood
Headed down the hall to get some vitals while we wait for platelets.
Break time ... still waiting for platelets, why not take a rest in the middle of the hallway?
Lovin on a cute boy.
We've got platelets, no more bruising!!!
Platelets run by gravity, the higher up you hang them, the faster they go in!
We laid down for a nap after platelts, then they came in to hang her blood. While any blood products are running they take vitals often to make sure the child isn't having any reactions to the products. What do you know, missy spiked a fever ... so we took some blood cultures of each line.
Culture bottles
Drawing cultures ... Chelsea not feeling so hot.
Nothing like a little bit of Tylenol to break a fever! Still receiving her blood (it takes 2-3 hours.)
O positive
And because of the fever ... here she is hooked up to antibiotics (and blood is still running) while watching Signing Time.
I know what you're thinking ... jeez does she photograph everything? Well, ... no. Believe it or not, I left out part of our day. Chels has been having some crying spurts in the night and has also been pulling at her diaper for a few days. Apparently nobody else thought ... maybe something was wrong down there. So, I asked about a urinary tract infection and they agreed to take samples (they had to do it twice, the second time was kind of interesting, it involves taping a plastic bag to an area I don't think anyone would like to have a plastic bag taped, but it sure beats a cath!) I think they were just trying to humor me by taking the samples, but what do you know ... she's got a UTI !!! So that explains the fever spike and now we can get it all cleared up with antibiotics. Poor baby, she's had this for at least 4-5 days b/c she was pulling at her diaper last weekend. Ryan had a conversation with the nurse Sunday about it and they even charted it, but not a word was ever said about it again. Well I noticed her pulling at her diaper again last night, and then this morning she screamed when I tried to change her diaper. I KNEW something was up. It doesn't take ESP to figure out what's going on here, honestly, I'm a little disappointed this was missed by so many people. I think I'm going to have to bring it to her doctors attention. I thought that was the kind of stuff they talked about in rounds? They probably get to her and say, oh yeah, Chelsea's here for count recovery, next?
When her blood was finished and I was looking for our nurse to turn the pump off, a child on our floor was 'code blue'. Everyone was running around and one nurse steered us into the playroom so we didn't get run over. Eventually I made eye contact with a nurse who wasn't helping with the other child and she stopped the pump for us. I don't think we know this little boy, but we'll be praying for him. He's down in the PICU now.
After that, we called it a day. Chelsea got more pain meds as she's still having a lot of pain when I change her or when she goes potty. I know she has a high tolerance for pain, so when she screams like she has been, I get her drugs right away. I hope you enjoyed our pictures from today ... can't wait until I'm taking pictures of her at the park or the zoo or anywhere but here!
Hello world!
3 years ago
18 comments:
What a day you had. I love the pictures you share with us. My favorite this time is her walking with the pole down the hall. She is a cutie. Prayers for the little guy in PICU. I can't imagine. Good job Mom for your instincts on the UTI. Moms know best!
Hope today is a little less tiring.
Hugs
Michelle & Matthew
That did give so much insight into your day--we all take so much for granted in times of good health. Chelsea's such an amazing little girl, and I'll look forward to those pictures in the park and at the zoo, too!!!
She is so cute and such a trooper with all she is going through. I can't wait to see pictures of you guys at the zoo. Prayers that that UTI clears right up and remember, Mother does know best!
Just goes to show you that nothing can compare to the natural instinct God gave us mommies. What a day you guys had and I know that this is just a small glimpse into your world. We will continue to pray for Chelsea and your entire family. Man, we are looking forward to those pictures in the park and zoo. You guys surely deserve some family fun time!!
Thank you for allowing us to see "part" of a day in the life of Chelsea & you. You both are so strong and are always in my thoughts in prayers. Sweet kisses to you both. Terry
What a day! You two are both amazing.
I'm sorry that she has a UTI, I'm glad you thought of it and asked them to test.
I can't wait for those zoo pictures either!
i like the pictures. that is something i would do. btw, without having me google it, can you tell me more about the central line? does it go directly into her heart or something? what's it's purpose and why is it difft/better/worse than a regular IV in the arm? wow, that's a lot to answer, just whenever you have a free moment. chelsea looks great!
Carey,
Thanks for your kind comments, and I look forward to reading through your blog. Your pictures are great and all too familiar! :) Take care, and please stay in touch. Rebecca did a wonderful job on your blog. Very impressive!
Raul
You aren't going to believe this.....Abby has a UTI also right now. They are sending us to Children's Mercy on the 8th for some tests of her kidneys because this is the third or fourth one she has had. I guess before she gets all grown up, Children's will literally have checked her from one end to the other, huh?
Can't wait for those days at the park and at the zoo!!!
Give her a squeeze for us.
Love to you all!
Hi
My name is Jenni and I came across your blog on "Our Wonderful Life" and wanted to support and help promote your Mascara MADNESS For Chelsea. I added an entry on my blog. and ordered a mascara as well) If you would rather be not do that I will take it off. I think you are doing a wonderful thing. I sincerely hope the best for you and your family.
My Warmest regards,
Jenni
The one of her pulling her own pole behind her...She is such a brave little girl - possibily the bravest I "know"! Please know that we are thinking and praying for her and your family - EVERY day!!!
Hugs,
Beth
I follow your blog everyday and when I wake up in the morning and turn on the computer your site is the first that I come to. Praying for Chelsea and your family. Our little girl is Emma Grace she is 17 months and has mosaic down syndrome.
O.K. , does it take a special mommy or what? to photograph what goes on in your day, the magnitude of it all, put a spin of humor on it all, file it away as just another day and move on to the next! You are amazing, as is that precious little child of yours. Thank you as always as it gives me strength to conquer what lies before Zoey and I. Take Care, Heather
Wow what a day!! Gotta love days like those, and way to go on being a momma bear and getting her checked for a UTI!!
It always scares me when I see kids alone in the hospital without some type of a parent or relative with them. I know people have jobs, but there have been so many things that were missed by Dr.'s and Nurses that I caught.
I hope you guys are home soon, and I LOVE Chelsea's cute headband!! She is such a doll. Rhett says hubba hubba!!
Lots of loves to you guys!!
WTG Mommy on getting Chelsea's UTI checked out! I blows me away how things like this can be overlooked. What a day! Your one amazing Women I can see where Chelsea get's it from. I am so looking forward to seeing those Zoo Pics!
Carey - you are one AMAZING woman and Chelsea is one AMAZING kid. I just had to say that. WTG on the UTI too. Insight - that is what momma's have. Love you guys!
Chloraprep is actually Chlorhexadine. It works much better than alcohol. It is not made of clorox so don't worry. I actually use a mouthwash that contains chlorhexadine. That would be yucky using bleach as a mouthwash, but then again so is the chlorhexadine!
Loved seeing the "day in the life." I hope the little boy with the code is doing well now!
Your pictures of Chelsea's day gave me an insight into your daily life now. We read your blog daily and have included Chelsea in our prayers for complete remission. Your family is amazing, simply an inspiration. Stay strong Chelsea!
Post a Comment