We're still here at Children's, and yes I did disappear for a short while. Can you believe it, I finally went down, you knew it was going to happen. I started feeling sick to my stomach around 1am Thursday morning and by 8am I was on the phone begging my mom to come relieve me. I was actually feeling much better when she got there at 11, but she let me go home to rest and recoup. I got a good night of sleep, and to that I say, "AMEN"!!! Can you hear me?!!! I still feel a little queasy here and there, but overall I'm fine and am eating regular food again. Thank goodness it's a short lived bug! Unfortunately my MIL who we all thought had dodged the bullet was throwing up when I called this morning. I hope you're feeling better tonight!
There's not a lot of change in Chelsea's progress, in fact they won't have the sensitivity of her infection until Monday, but they're confident that we're on the correct antibiotic, so they're sending us home as is. They were unable to coordinate things with the home health agency tonight, so it will be tomorrow morning. We'll be giving Chelsea her antibiotics through her HIckman three times a day. Each dose runs over an hour, so what's everyone else doing between 1-2am next week? Ha! You better believe I'll be adjusting the times we give her antibiotics. 1am would seriously be like torture and Ryan has already admitted he would be utterly unavailable at that time. He's a self acclaimed grouch throughout the night and early in the morning. I'm constantly having to remind him that Logan is FOUR years old when I hear them arguing at 6am.
It's actually good they didn't get us home tonight because little Missy isn't drinking well. She threw up just before breakfast this morning, then again after dinner (of which she didn't eat much), then again tonight while I was trying to push fluids (in the form of a chocolate milkshake). So...while none of the incidents were significant, every little bit she can't keep down counts since we're not getting much in. I finally convinced them to take her off of fluids around 1pm so that we could be sure she'd drink on her own before going home. I feel like she just doesn't get thirsty when she's hooked up to fluids and that's why she goes down hill at home, b/c she doesn't have the luxury of being hydrated 24/7. The doctors seem reluctant to send us home administering IV fluids but their reasoning is a mystery to me. If I can do the antibiotics, I can likely handle the fluids. Someone mentioned I could possibly give her too much fluid if she's drinking well and on IV. Hello?!!! I think it doesn't take a PHD to figure out if she's drinking well she won't need the IV fluids.
Noone even mentions the pneumonia b/c it's not causing any problems, nor is the RSV. Because she tested positive for RSV though, all staff is required to wear the yellow gowns, gloves and masks everytime they enter our room. I know it's for the protection of the other patients, but it's really quite humorous. The gowns are less than flattering and I'm surprised at how quickly Chelsea has adapted to their new uniforms. Being on isolation sure makes me feel like we've got some scary, life threatening, super contagious disease. I'm almost offended when they enter the room dressed like this. (but before you comment...) note that I said "almost"...b/c it actually is life threatening to the hemoc kids down the hall that have little or no immune system.
I got some super cute pictures and video of Chelsea today. I can't wait to share them. Next update will be from home hopefully!
Hello world!
3 years ago
3 comments:
So sorry you got sick too! Glad you're better though!!
I totally know what you mean about the yellow gowns! LOL When Kennedy was exposed to chicken pox during treatment we spent the WHOLE admission in our room, door closed, and the nurses had to wear gowns, gloves and masks. It was SO frustrating since Kennedy wasn't even sick! UGH! OK I need to stop before I get mad all over! LOL Praying Chelsea starts drinking soon!
Carey,
Glad to hear you are on your way home. I hope you are feeling better and better. And I am especially praying for Chelsea to recover from this.
Kristine
Man, girl! So glad you are feeling better. I have been thinking of you guys like crazy. Sorry to have dropped out of sight the last few days. We have had drama on our end as well. I will update you next time we talk. All is well now, but "Yikes!"
I hope Chels is feeling better and you guys get to go home soon. Let me know if you need anything.
Post a Comment