Thursday, December 20, 2007

We'll Wish You a Merry Christmas from....

Children's Mercy Hospital this year. Yep, we were admitted, Chelsea made her counts! Her ANC was 1421 in fact, very imprssive. It was one of those bitter sweet moments I guess you could say. I'm sort of disappointed b/c we won't be home for Christmas, but I'm happy that we can get back on track and kick cancer in the butt!

Speaking of, I have the best Christmas present ever.... are you ready?

Today the nurse practicioner finally got the results back from the residual disease study. It's when they take the sample from her last bone marrow (before round two) and send it off to be studied. It's an in depth cellular, biological, genetic study of the sample, very OFFICIAL. And the word is...she is for sure, most definately, in REMISSION!!!! No doubt about it. Of course they had to be honest that they only do a small sample of her marrow, and there could still be leukemia cells lurking and that is why we continue with such a harsh protocol of chemo. We have to make sure we kill any strong leukemic cells that could be hiding. BUt, as far as everyone is concerned, she's definately in remission, and that's music to my ears!!! So Merry christmas to everyone, no matter where you'll be this year, be thankful to be alive!

One last update....she had a spinal tap today where they inserted more chemo in her back. She's super grouchy from the sedation. She's also on a 3 foot cord that will run with chemo for four days straight!!! She's extra ornery lately too, I think the terrible two's have hit a bit early (her birthday isn't until January). So, any friends or family who have asked what we need, I could definately use some help up here this Friday or Saturday. Ryan HAS to work and I'm here alone with her. It's usually not too bad, but when she's on this short leash for four days straight, it's exhausting to the point of going crazy. So if you're not sick and can/want to stop by, please do, we're in room 19! I'm sure I'll be desperate for help. If I don't update for a while, you know why!

18 comments:

Amy Flege said...

i am crying this as i type..... happy tears!! yeah!!! way to go chelsea for kicking that cancer in the butt!!! we love you!

Esther said...

That's great news!!

Angel Gabi's Mommy said...

How exciting!! It is definitely the best gift you could ever ask for...remission, sounds like there will be another party to plan:)
We will be up at some point on Saturday more than likely it will be in the evening. I'll call ahead to see if you need or want anything! Can't wait to see you both!!!
Love and Prayers

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

YES,YES, YES, YES, YES!!!!!! I am so excited to hear the official results. Way to go you guys!

I would love to come up tomorrow or Sat. but we are leaving for my mom's midday tomorrow and won't be back until Sun. I will call when we get back and see if you need help then.

Take care and give her a congrats kiss from me!

All 4 My Gals said...

Praise God! I'm ecstatic and you just made my Christmas! Thanks for giving me something to celebrate! :)

Michelle said...

I'm joining Amy with tears. I am so so happy to hear the news. Carey, what a great Christmas gift to all!! God bless sweet Chelsea.

I hope you are able to have a great Christmas with Chelsea, Logan and Ryan despite being in the hospital. Being together will be all that matters.

Love and prayers to all!

Anonymous said...

Carey, what wonderful news about Chelsea's remission. Christmas has come early to your family. You know if I lived closer (lets say within 4 hrs ) I would be there in a heart beat. Please give Chelsea a hug for me and thank you for sharing the great news.

Anonymous said...

Carey, That is the best news EVER!!
Christmas is early this year!!
Way to go Chelsea!!
May God bless you and your family!!

Love you all
Aunt Kathy

Michelle said...

that is such wonderful news to hear she is in remission already! Merry Christmas indeed! (although I am sorry you'll be spending it in the hospital!)

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

What wonderful news!!!

The Bryant Family said...

WOW-What a gift! I am so happy to hear the news. Thank you for updating and keeping us informed. I live close and would love to come give you a break. I know how much effort is exhausted just by being in the hospital let alone all the other stuff going on while you are there. We just got out of there on Monday with my daughter. Please email me if you would like me to come up. Karenb526@aol.com. I am available in the evenings after Christmas as well if you want to go home and see Ryan and Logan. Have a blessed week....you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Unknown said...

What wonderful news. Way to go Chelsea!

Pam said...

Yay Chelsea!!! You go girl!!!

I am so happy for you guys Carey! We love you guys, and although you have to spend it in the the hospital, I hope you have the best Christmas ever!! I can't think of anyone who deserves it more.

Rhett says to give Chelsea a huge kiss from him, he thinks she is still the most beautiful thing around!! ((HUGS!!))

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Awesome!

AWESOME!

A W E S O M E !!!

Praise God for answering prayers!!!

Kitty, Nathanael's Mom said...

I am sobbing tears of joy and sighs of relief. I am SO so happy Chelsea is in remission! God bless her very precious soul!

Love to you all from Vermont!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so happy to hear she is in remission!! Thank God! What awesome news!

Unknown said...

Awesome news Carey! I wish I could come and hang out with Chelsea for a few hours to give you some time off. I have a cold that won't go away and I know the rules - stay away if you have even a sniffle! I send my prayers your way!
Merry Christmas,
Kristine

Kari said...

Awsome news. I will continue to pray for chelsea!