Sunday, November 04, 2007

We're Home!

We were supposed to come home around 8am, but just got home mid afternoon. We've been waiting around all day, but we're glad to be back home. Last night was rough, Chelsea was feeling awful yesterday evening, we thought she was starting to get a fever, but then it started to drop again. At one point she wouldn't eat and drink at all and was dry heaving. Over night she kept waking up moaning and I couldn't figure out why. Ryan was on duty and got up with her and helped the nurses with eye drops. Around 4am I got up and noticed she was gnawing on her finger, so I'm guessing most of the moaning was from her new molars. They've given plenty of other stuff to eliminate nausea and other chemo side effects. She did start gagging like she was going to throw up early this morning, so we gave her more benedryl and that seemed to help. If she's having a lot of pain from her teeth tonight we have to use oxycodeine instead of Tylenol b/c Tylenol could mask a fever...no Tylenol for this little munchkin!

They gave her the shot of chemo in her leg this morning. It was supposed to be at 7:30am, but they pushed it to 9am (which felt like 10am) so an attending would be on duty. The nurse came in at 9:15 to put EMLA cream on the area. She said she'd let it sit for 15 minutes to numb the area before the shot. She came back at 10:25 with the shot. Then we had to stay for an hour to be sure she didn't have a major allergic reaction, which she didn't. We then did some more waiting for the doctors to come on rounds and give us the okay to leave. I feel like I've been waiting all day! Luckily Chelsea has been sleeping most of the day. She slept at the hospital, on the way home, and is still sleeping now. This chemo was tough on her and she looks and acts pretty run down. Her rash has gotten worse, it's over most of her body including her bottom, the palms of her hands and the bottom of her feet. The only thing we can do is offer benedryl if it bothers her, because she has to have the Ara-C. The doctors did finally conclude the rash was from the Ara-C. Lucky for us she'll get Ara-C almost every round, so my baby will likely look like a beet for the next 6 months!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Carey - we were away for the weekend but was happy to come home to good news that Chelsea could start round 2. Sounds like it was a little hard on her (and you and Ryan). Praying this morning that she is feeling a better. Rash or no rash she is still beautiful!! Glad you are home.

Love,

Michelle - Matthew's Mom

Anonymous said...

We are praying that she begins feeling better. I am sorry to hear that this round seems to be tougher on her so far. At least you get to come home for a few days. Hopefully, being at home helps her to feel a bit better.

Let us know if you need anything!

Anonymous said...

Hi Carey,
It difficult for me to say I'm happy that Chelsea was able to start round 2, for obvious reasons. I will say I'm happy she is back home with the family. I'm sorry to hear this round was even harder for Chelsea, you ,Ryan and well lets just say your whole family. I pray everyday for her spirits to be lifted and that she gets through this quickly and with little pain. God Bless, Terry

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Glad your home. Be glad that they didn't come back in 15 minutes because EMLA works best if it's been on for at least 1 hour.

rylie's mom said...

Hi-My name is Valerie and I am new to the blog world. Lately I have been reading a lot of different blogs of moms that have children with Down syndrome (my little Rylie has Ds)I came across your site because of Chelsea's Dream big button. I just wanted to let you know how precious and adorable I think Chelsea is and to let you know that my family is praying for her.

Stephanie said...

Just letting you know you guys are always in my prayers and I am always coming here for updates but not always able to post.
Sending kisses to Chelsea, brave little sweetheart!

Unknown said...

Carey,

I don't know why I haven't thought of this before, but if you all need a place to stay while Chelsea is in the hospital call me - 542-3364. We have an extra room and bathroom in the basement, I love to cook for a crowd and it sure would beat sleeping on the cold floor. The offer is open to you, Ryan and Logan anytime. Children's Mercy is only about a 20-30 minute drive from our house. I am serious!

Kristine

Anonymous said...

Hey there Carey,
Thinking of you. I'm wondering if you haven't posted because you're enjoying your time at home, or if Chelsea got a fever so you had to rush back to the hospital and things are hectic. I understand how busy it can be, I never had time to get on line while at the hospital, frankly I got to where I was tired of talking about it. Anyways, I hope things aren't too bad! Still praying!!! A big hug coming Chelsea's way!!! :)