Sunday, November 18, 2007

Spiked Not Quite

Logan and Ryan came up Sat. morning to visit. Logan's got a cough, so I took him to Kaleidoscope and out for lunch and ice cream so he wouldn't be around sissy. He did visit her for a little bit, but he wasn't excited about wearing his mask, so we were getting really nervous. He and I stayed at the Ronald McDonald house last night. We hate changing the sheets on both beds, so we slept together, whew, that was tough!!! Not only did I have to wrestle the kicking and flipping, but I had to listen to his coughing. A couple of times I sat up and woke him up thinking he was going to throw up. I felt so bad for him, his cough is awful. When we left for the RM House last night Ryan and I were thinking Chelsea wasn't feeling too well. Her temp was running a degree or so higher than normal. The hospital doesn't consider it a fever until 101.5 so we couldn't give her any meds. She stayed stable over night, but Ryan said she fussed quite a bit. (I talked to the nurse a little bit ago though and he said that Ryan and Chelsea were sound asleep each time he went in to check on her last night. I think Ryan may have been over exaggerating a bit ;) )

Grandma and Grandpa C came to visit today and stayed with Chels while the three of us went to eat lunch together. Logan didn't eat a thing...he actually didn't eat all weekend. When it was time for them to leave he was really sad and I could tell it was going to be hard. He really wanted to play on the playground, so we left Chels with a nurse and played outside for a short while before they left. It made the goodbyes a little easier, but I was still teary when they drove away. We decided if he was still sick over Thanksgiving we better not bring him. He just refuses to wear his mask, and sissy has NO ANC right now, so she's SUPER suseptable to ALL GERMS! I'll be soooo sad if they can't come Thursday. I've heard a lot of the families up here will be visiting, so I'll feel so alone if Logan's still sick. Send some healing get well vibes our way PLEASE!!!

After dinner tonight, Chels laid on my lap and started getting the chills. She was quivering and turned bright red. I took her temp and it really started climbing, so at 101.1 I buzzed for the nurse. Of course she decided to get sick right during shift change, so noone was around. I took her temp again and she was at 101.8, officially a fever, so I buzzed again to tell them she spiked. Her nurse, RJ came in to take her temp, and after 5 attempts, he couldnt' get a reading of 101.5, so her official fever wasn't really "official"!!! I was so sad b/c she felt awful and I wanted to get her some Tylenol. It wasn't that he didnt' believe me (the temp reading was still on the thermometer) he just said the resident won't go for it until he physically takes that temperature. He came back to try again 15 mintues later, and Chelsea did the same thing even though I got 101.8 AGAIN while the nurse was gone! After he left the room the second time though, Chels perked up with interest, wiggled off of my lap and followed him out into the hall. We walked down the hall and she headed into the play room. She quickly began to look better and sure enough, her fever was headed back down. Evidently she spiked and that's all she needed to do and now it's gone! Her temp is back to normal. She played w/ the nurses for a while, and now, 2 hours later is in bed for the night. I think we've escaped isolation, yipee! She also drank enough that she doesn't need to be hooked up to fluids tonight, so let's hope it's a quiet night. I soooo need some sleep tonight. We've had a rough last few nights. I'm running on very little sleep right now.

We'll have labs in the morning, but here's what I know from Friday: (they had to draw labs b/c she fell out of the car head first onto the concrete floor, oops...hope her platelets were okay!!!)

hemoglobin, 11 (something, hmmm)
platelets, 80 (yep, they're fine, no worries)
ANC, 10 (wow, down from 19 yesterday)

So although I hate to predict, but I'd guess her ANC should definately be ZERO tomorrow and both hemoglobin and platelets will be getting low, so we'll probably need transfusions mid week. I promise I'll try to update more frequently so we don't have such long updates every time!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Sending lots of well wishes to Logan and praying he is feeling better by Thursday. Would love to hear that you had a Thanksgiving together as a family. Praying Chelsea's levels get where they need to be soon so you can finish up round 2. Thinking of you everyday!

love,

Michelle & Matthew