Monday, November 12, 2007

Round 2 Complete!

Chelsea finished round two this morning with a shot in the leg. She cried of course, but I was holding her closely when they administered the shot. I was kissing her and singing to her. Next thing I knew I felt a little tongue in my mouth. Yes, I think I frenched my daughter, that's just wrong. Even amidst the drama of nurses injecting chemo into her thigh she's still crazy with the tongue!

She snapped out of it quickly though as always and has been running around like always! We had to "re-loop" her twice today. That's how we know it was an active day. A 'loop' is something we do to her Hickman so that if she gets away from us while attached to the pole or if she pulls on her Hickman, the loop will be pulled out before the actual port will be pulled from her chest.

She did get a blood transfusion today, it was down to 7.4 this morning. She wasn't acting sluggish at all though, we were surprised she was so low. Her platelets were down to 47 so she bruised a little bit after the shot. She'll need platelets sometime this week inevitably. They didn't give her any benedryl today, so by the evening she was looking a little red, so I requested some in an attempt to bypass the rash this round. She fought sleep a little bit tonight, but is now sound asleep, whew! She did throw up yesterday afternoon twice and once this evening, but each time, it's quick, always when my head is turned, and she just keeps on playing. Not once have I actually heard it happen, and she doesn't act startled like most children do, she just seems oblivious to the fact and if she happens to see it before I can get it cleaned up, she likes to stick her hands in it! She's soooo goofy.

She didn't drink a whole lot today, but ate well. Then tonight in an attempt to catch her up and get her unhooked from the fluids, I got her to drink a lot with dinner, but she hardly ate anything. No fever, really it's been uneventful. Oh wait...a few loose diapers, one of which was the exciting up the back all over my onesie sort. Of course she did that one right at shift change too, so here it's 7:30 and I'm frantically asking the nurses for press n' seal, towels etc. And oh by the way, can you take this dirty diaper? (yep, they weigh every single diaper!) God bless our nurses and care assistants for putting up with us! We're thinking the poops are just a side effect of the chemo. If it lasts a couple of days they may do a culture, but let's cross our fingers they go away soon!

Logan called this afternoon. He said he missed me (awwww....) We talked a bit about what he did at Grandma's and I told him Daddy would come home to get him tonight. Then all of a sudden he says, "hold on mommy." "I have to go poop." I started cracking up and Grandpa got on the phone and told me I didn't have to "hold on" that long! My theory is he got all relaxed talking to mommy and decided it was time....like....right now!!!

Okay, enough for tonight. I apologize for so much talk about poop. I guess you can't avoid it when you're talking about kids!

Carey

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Gotta love the poop talk! Having two little boys I completely understand. Happy to hear Chelsea is doing well. She is such a trooper! Praying every day for you guys.

Hugs,

Michelle - Matthew's Mom

Jamy Dunbar, Head Coach said...

Glad to hear everything is going pretty well. Sounds like it is "flowing" along. Aaaahhhh, poop! They should tell you when you have kids that you are going to spend the next several years swimming in the stuff!

Have a great day today!
Chan

The Bryant Family said...

Dont even sweat the talks of poop, a lot of our conversations revolve around that same thing.
I am glad you posted. I was checking your sight to get updated on Chelsea. I am glad she is doing so well. Your opening paragraph brought me to tears. My son is crazy with his tongue and kisses too....but how awesome our kiddos are. Look at all they have gone through and yet they still find heart to comfort us. Hang in there.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

I am so glad things are going almost uneventful. Hang in there. Hugs and Prayers!

Niksmom said...

ROFL about frenching your daughter (or, really, HER frenching you!)...so glad she's doing so well this time around. And the poop...that's nothing! Any parent ought to be able to handle that. LOL

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear all is going well! with the stories going on over here in my area with the kids with AML I'm soooo Happy to hear good news!!!! It really does brighten my day!!!! praying it will uneventful throughout the protocol to the end!!!!! then end-of-chemo party!!! who whooo

Blended in Texas said...

Chelsea is in my prayers- I'm putting up a 'dream big' button on my sidebar. I'll keep checking back to see how she (and her family) are doing! =)

Tammy and Parker said...

Yeah! For round two being done!

She seems like she is really doing well.

You guys continue to be in our prayers.

Kari said...

My little guy is quite the little french kisser too. I'm getting quicker.
I'm happy to read round 2 is done keeping you in my prayers!