Saturday, November 03, 2007

Admitted

If you hadn't already guessed, yes we were admitted yesterday. You should have heard the cheers when we got her labs back, 1035!!! You would have though we had just won the lottery or something. So it took some time, but after arriving at the hospital at 8:30 we were admitted on 4 Henson around 12:15. Grandpa Eric accompanied me on the trip and by the time we got a room we were both starving, so he ran down to the cafeteria to get us some fuel for the rest of the day. Boy did we need it! Chemo started at 1:30. Chelsea had actually fallen asleep on my lap before they hooked her up, she was so pooped. She slept for the first half of the 3 our infusion. Because we are part of a study, they are taking lots of labs following the first dose of Ara-C (her chemo drug name). Labs had to be drawn right before starting, 30 minutes prior to the end of the dose, then following the dose at 5, 10, 15, 30 and 60 minutes! Our nurse was one busy woman yesterday afternoon. Fortunately they get the blood from her Hickman, so it's painless to Chelsea, just a little annoying! They also drew labs 4 and 8 hours after the end of the dose. She is getting an extremely high dose of this drug during this round, 100 mg in each of the 4 doses. Last round there was a little Ara-C, but it was only 6mg spread throughout 4 days. Grandpa was reading the side effects of Ara-C and noticed that sometimes kids get rashes with it...hmmmm...that really got us thinking about her last rash. Could it have been a side effect of the Ara-C, and if it was, imagine how much worse it could get this time with such an extreme dose. We've been keeping a close eye on her, and she did start to look splotchy last night, but this morning her legs and tummy look better. She does have the rash on her neck now though. Since it hasn't ever seemed to bother her, I don't think it's anything to get overly concerned about, just something to watch for. This drug also causes severe conjunctivitis, so she receives eye drops every 3 hours to prevent any problems. She's not a big fan of eye drops! They rotate, one of the eye drops she gets every 6 hours is medicated and may sting a little bit, and the other is just saline given every 6 hours. They rotate the two so she's getting drops every 3 hours.

She slept well last night considering the action going on around her. We used a weighted blanket we're borrowing from TARC and Ryan and I agreed that it seemed to help her sleep a lot more peacefully...when they weren't messing with her. Take a look at our night!!!
9:00 Chelsea to bed
10:30 eye drops (so mean to do to a sleeping baby!)
12:30 draw blood
1:00 zofran (anti nausea)
1:30 eye drops and begin dose #2 of Ara-C, chemo
4:30 unhook chemo, flush her lines, eye drops
7:00 zofran
7:30 eye drops
8:00 nurse checks in but promises not to wake sleeping baby
8:30 care assistant wants to check vitals...um, I don't think so, I'll let you know when Chelsea wakes up.
9:00 nurse practitioner checks in and takes a peak, Chelsea looks great, but we notice rash on neck...hmmm...
9:15 my sunshine arises!

So, it was a pretty foggy night for me, I'm a little loopy today. It's harder to fall asleep after each awakening when you're sleeping on a cold hard floor ... not that I'm complaining though, anything for my baby! The Ronald McDonald house was completely full (both houses) so Ryan slept on the sofa couch and I slept on the floor. Thank God I brought my 1 inch thick foam pad and a couple of blankets, ha!!! It was just like sleeping on concrete. Really it's okay though b/c I was up helping give eye drops and settling her back down most of the night anyways. I may go buy an air mattress today though...any extra padding would help!

Chelsea is obviously tiring from the chemo, she just kind of looks like she doesn't feel good, not quite her usual self. She's not really fussy, or crying at all, just sleepy. She didn't eat breakfast well at all, I think she's got some nausea going on. This morning she started acting like she was going to throw up, it was more like the dry heaves, and she spit a little bit into a bucket. It scared her more than anything. Poor baby. Daddy's working on getting some lunch in her right now, then we'll lay her down for a nap and start the 3rd dose of Ara-C. After this we'll have the last dose at 1:30am, or will it be 12:30am??? Daylight savings, you figure that one out! She'll then get a shot in the leg first thing in the morning and an hour after that we'll be free to go home! Of course we have to return next Friday bright and early for the long haul.

11 comments:

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Praying for a quick recovery after Chemo!

FYI- Just incase you received a comment email from yourself saying the same thing above, I was still logged in under your account, and forgot when I commented. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Sending all good thoughts and prayers your way.....Give Chelsea a big hug from us!
The Anderson's

Anonymous said...

Sending prayers your way from Carol&Abigail.

Anonymous said...

It seems weird to cheer that she was able to be admitted but in this case, YoooHooo!!! I hope she does well and you all get some needed rest.

I actually have a blow up mattress up in the attic. It is a queen size though so may be too big. Let me know if you need it. You are more than welcome to it!

So we will be praying for you and thinking about you constantly.

Let us know what you need!

Niksmom said...

Will be praying for you all.

Anonymous said...

Thinking and praying for you all! Let me know if you need anything at all, Carey. Both Chris and I are thinking of you constantly.

Hugs,
Peggy, Chris & Cason

P.S. Big smooches to Chelsea!

Angel Gabi's Mommy said...

We are sending lots of love and prayers your way. So glad to hear round 2 is in progress! Take care of that sweet little one...BIG HUGS!!!

Anonymous said...

Carey!
Curious and concerned, sorry. It's just that, what you described sounds exactly like Will's intensification cycle (5th cycle)! Why is she receiving 100 mg of ara-c already, yikes! That dose deffinetly knocked Will on his butt, he didn't eat hardly at all, slept all the time. I hope her rash doesn't get too bad! Will received the stinging eye drops every two hours(night and day!) I can't tell you how much I hated that, plus the fear of what can happen if he doesn't recieve the drops! ugh! Needless to say, I'm right there with you! I'm having flash backs with each update you post. I can't wait to hear the "end of chemo party" post! Time goes fast! hang in there! Sleep will be one of your main goals! praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Carey-So glad to hear Chelsea was finally admitted! I'm thinking of all of you! Give Chelsea a big squeeze and sloppy kiss from Shawn and I and the whole clan!
Love, Leah and family

Anonymous said...

First off, go buy the air mattress! I did and am loving it. Only spent $22 on a twin @ Target and it is so much more comforable than the pullout lounger that they provide.
Secondly, I can't believe how different things are between Ashlyn and Chelsea when they are on the same study!!!! They never drew blood that many times and Ash only gets one eye drop done every 4 hours (2 drops in ea. eye).
Sorry they are putting you and Chelsea through so much during the night! The good thing is though the eye drops stop 24 hours after her last dose of chemo! Hope her rash goes away soon.
Have fun at home.

Nicki
cp: ashlynnichole

Anonymous said...

Carey,

Just wanted you to know that me and Lily are still thinking of Chelsea and you and your family and saying prayers! I know it must be so difficult for all of you right now. Hang in there and give Chelsea big hugs and kisses from me and Lily!!!!

Hugs and prayers your way!

Lisa and Lily