I know everyone says, don't go there, but I have to. The longer we face such a powerful diagnosis, the more my mind retraces the last few months. Were there signs? Was I missing something? Well, of course there were. Here's what I can come up with so far, and yes they may be unrelated, but again they may be completely relevant. I know there are many people who read my blog and have children with Down syndrome (who are at increased risk for leukemia), so if nothing else maybe this will raise some awareness.
* Late August Chelsea was throwing up, often after nap, when she had an empty stomach. For a while she did it everyday, but she had no other signs of symptoms and it didn't seem to be a virus. I took her to the doctor after a week and a half of this. I kept a food diary for a week and he didn't see anything suspicious in what she was eating. He prescribed Reglan, but we opted not to use this as we heard some awful things about its' side effects. It eventually subsided, so we dropped it. I read recently vomiting can be a sign/symptom of leukemia.
* At that same appointment with the doctor, I mentioned her stools had been black for a couple of days. He stopped and thought about it for a minute (I can always tell when our doctors is concerned). Then he gave me something to take a sample with and said to return it to the office on Monday if the black stools continue. Of course they didn't, so once again, we dropped it. For some reason we always have strange things happen to us on Fridays! I later asked a friend (nurse) what black stools meant, and she said it could mean old blood in her stomach...hmmmm. That had me nervous. I haven't seen this to be a symptom of AML, but I'm now convinced it is related.
* Then of course there's the fact that she was becoming an increasingly picky eater. We attributed this to her age and figured she was just acting like her brother. Hey, who wants to eat green beans and carrots once you've experienced the pure delight of chocolate ice cream?
* Finally I wonder if she would have walked sooner had she not had cancer. I know she did start walking very early, 18 months, but I can't even count the number of times her physical therapists told me ... she's strong enough to walk, there's no reason she's not walking. Again we brushed it off as a confidence issue. Maybe she was too weak, often with AML the children have bone pain.
Okay, that's all the connecting of the dots I'm doing tonight, I just had to get it off my chest. This is like my diary...except it's public...VERY public. Who needs secrets anyways?
Hello world!
3 years ago
7 comments:
Carey,
As a mom I know it does absolutely no good to tell you that there is nothing more you could have done and not to do that to yourself. We are moms and it is our job to analyze, wonder, reflect and pass judgement on ourselves. All I can say is that I really believe that there is a reason those things didn't hit anyone's radar. For whatever reason you found out when you did.
The blessing is that you got her quickly into treatment and she is responding so well.
I think that the reflecting you are doing now is an important part of the process. Just don't get too caught up in it and let it consume you. The fact is that each one of those things could have been a million other things. I know you and you are a great mom who has a great eye for what is going on with your kids.
Hope you are enjoying home!
Thank you for this. I remember when we first got Avery's dx and I was doing all the reading (that we all do) and I learned about the increase in risk for leukemia and I was just so, so scared. Then a dear friend of mine, who is also mama to twins--one with DS, like us--went through treatments with her son. She showed me the way, and her boy is so healthy now. I still worry, but I've learned not to be as afraid. And now I know more things to watch for, and to share with other moms to watch out for, too.
I think you're doing terrific, and so is Chelsea! I keep you in my thoughts and prayers and I envision you all healthy and happy, just like my friend and her family.
It is only normal for you to "go there," I wouldn't expect any less from such a good parent. I wonder all the time if there was more we could of done and unfortunately
I feel like we didn't ask soon enough, so never ever hold back! I plan on visiting you guys next week. I will call so that I know where you are. I miss you guys so much...I need my Chelsea fix! Keep using your blog to voice your opinions, it can be so theraputic!
Hugs to all!!!
I think that you writing signs to be aware of in terms of leukemia is a great idea for us readers. However, I think that you should never second guess yourself. You seem like a great mom who has your babies best interest at heart. I think that you are so in tune with your little girl that you were able to catch it and get it treated as fast as any other parent may have. Chelsea is very lucky to have you two as parents. You are doing a wonderful job and seem to be hanging in there very well. Keep it up. I know that it's hard not to wonder what more you could have done. I have been there and right now I find myself doing it with my second pregnancy as well, but you have to keep in your mind that you love your babies and you are doing everything you can to protect them. You guys are always in my thoughts and prayers. Take care, Amy
Hi Carey,
I know its hard to not beat yourself up about things that you may have seen...that sort of thing can be tricky in our little ones. I know Carter has all sorts of wierd things going on with him on a regular basis, and guaranteed if he is ever diagnosed with something like Chelsea has I would be doing the exact same thing that you are. I think it is just a very human response. Just know that you have soooo many people cheering you guys on, and please know that if you need to get things off your chest at any time, then that's what we are here for!!
Hugs to you all!! And an extra squish to your sweet girl from my little guy (he loves looking at the pics of Chelsea! I think he has a crush, lol)!
Jeanette and Carter
Carey,
I know awareness is very important to you and I want you to know that because of Chelsea, I will be demanding a CBC on Gabi this year. Here yearly checkup is in November. She hasn't had a CBC since we moved from Florida (3 yrs.). Not sure why this doc never even mentioned it or why I didn't even think about it until Chelsea's diagnosis. You would think I would be right on top of it for 2 reasons: #1 I am a nurse #2 we had a scare several years back where Gabi was in so much pain from just standing that we had to work her up for leukemia. Never found out why she had the problem. It went away as fast as it came on, but her CBC was fine. Thanks so much for trying to bring more awareness. I wish it didn't take Chelsea getting leukemia before I followed up with Gabi. So glad you did catch it early.
My daughter Rylee Dawn is 14 months old with DS and AML M7. What type of AML does your daughter have? You can visit Rylee at www.caringbridge.org/visit/ryleedawndavidson. We have 1 course left to go. We are at St. Jude's. My name is Carey too, spelled the same way. I'd love to hear from you. Good luck and I will pray for your little one.
Carey
Post a Comment