we've got a cold and an awful rash. See, I've got to start with the optimistic first. We're not really worried b/c she doesn't have a fever, but the rash is little red bumps all over her entire body. The funny thing is that it bothers me more than it does her. The doctors asked if she was itching...well, no, but she's a baby, and she doesn't itch anything, not even bug bites. So this afternoon when it looked like it was spreading, brighter red and even more raised, the nurse agreed we should call the resident. She ordered some benedryl, so hopefully that will do a double duty tonight...help the rash and get her a good night of sleep! I just can't even describe how awful her skin looks. When I bathed her I just felt awful for her, b/c if it were me I think it would be extremely painful. Sometimes I wish I were as tough as her! The resident doctor did tell me tonight that the chemo makes her skin more sensitive. I wish they would have come out and told me that a week ago when I first began to notice a rash! So now I'm going to try and wash all of her clothing and bedding in baby detergent. Hopefully it is gentle enough to help get this cleared up!
As for this week, we're just trying to keep her loaded with fluids. If we get her to drink enough during the day, they don't have to put her on fluids at night, which means they won't be bugging her (or me) in the middle of the night. She started a zinc supplement yesterday. The nutritionist noticed it was low and that is very common for children with Down syndrome. The doctor said that that she didn't mind either way whether we added a supplement, but the resident explained that one side effect of having low zinc would be that it is more difficult for her body to recover if she has an open wound...I think that's what he said, something about an open wound...but anyways we know she's constantly falling so we decided giving her the supplement really can't hurt! She also started a mouth paste. It's bubble gum flavored and we use a swab to wipe it all along her cheeks, gums, roof of her mouth and her tongue. It's used for mouth sores. I suspect she has some in the back of her tongue, but we're not sure, so at the very least we'll use this as a preventative measure. We'll draw labs on Thursday morning and hopefully we'll be able to tell if she's "bottomed out" yet. The sooner she bottoms out, the sooner her numbers will go back up and we can go home! On Friday we've got another bone marrow biopsy which will require a sedative and once again they'll take the marrow from her hip bone (which actually is on her bottom).
We had a few visitors tonight and Chelsea and I were just loving it! Thanks to Micah and her mom for visiting and bringing us such special gifts from our amazing friends online! We got more pictures, some onesies from Mina, and the most unique hand made gifts from Becky! I'm going to hang the pictures and hopefully I can take some pictures to share. (A special thanks for that chili!!! Micah I know where you get your cooking skills now, it was soooo yummy!) I have to also thank all my friends at Hillcrest. Do you know how much I miss you!!!??? I don't think I could ever get a job with a greater group of people, thank you all for your generous gifts. I promise as soon as Chelsea gets over this bump we'll come visit you at school and Chelsea will be running the halls waving to you all like she does the nurses here!
Hello world!
3 years ago
14 comments:
Praying hard the rash goes away quickly. The chemo definitely DOES make skin more sensitive! Kennedy cannot have ANY tape on her skin (made the task of keeping her hickman line secure really fun!). She has too many scars to count.
Carey, you are in a really really tough spot. We have lost quite a few friends since Kennedy's diagnosis. One of our good friends passed away in the room next to us during one admission. We were so devastated. We are STILL so devastated. I'll never understand it. It's OK to not want to be where you are. None of us do... Cancer just sucks!
I can't wait until you are on our end... going to post chemo clinic vists and then going home. You'll get there...one round at a time!
Give Chelsea a big hug for us!
Renee & Kennedy
So sorry about the rash, but sounds like things are going well otherwise.
Oh no! I hope that yucky rash & cold goes away soon! Feel better!!
We are sending you guys lots of hugs and prayers!
Isn't it amazing how tough kids are? Chelsea seems to be one of the toughest. We are praying the rash and cold go away soon.
The kids and I painted some pictures this morning with apples and carrot sticks so I will get those in the mail to you as soon as they dry. Unique artwork by my 4 and 2-year-old. :)
Have a good day today you guys!
Carey,
Do you want me to come down on Friday? I have some Arbonne Products for skin issues we can try for her. My friend Linda has a excema for her entire life, and she is using my hand and foot cream and it is almost gone!!!! She could not believe it, she has been on steroids, special cream, and nothing has helped accept the Arbonne. We have special for babys also. Let me know, you will be pleasantly surprised.
Nora
Good Morning Carey,
I was out of town over the weekend with no access to internet. GASP!! So, I have been spending the morning getting caught up. It sounds like you are so tired. At my church meeting last night, I asked all my women to pray for Chelsea. You can be assured that she will receive a special prayer every morning from these women. Keep strong
Kristine
Hi, a friend of yours, Lee, pointed me to your blog.
Chelsea is a beautiful, precious child, and she is in my prayers and heart. Your family is in my prayers.
I'll be sharing the prayer request on my blog...I believe in the power of prayer.
Hi Chelsea Faye...I'm Melody Faye...stay strong little girl.
Just a thought, since her skin may be extra-sensitive, could it be the laundry detergent? I developed an allergy to laundry detergent dyes, and the rash you descibe sounds very similar to what I had.
Sending some extra prayers your way!
Your girl is an absolute beauty. The photos through out your blog make me smile and she exudes such strength and happiness for such a young little one.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. What struggles you have faced and continue to face. Please know I will continue to think of you all!
The only thing I can offer is this is harder on you then it is on her. I spent countless times in the hospital as a child and have had many, many surgeries and it's much easier being the patient than it is being the Mom, caregiver, parent to the child at home, wife. Much peace and happiness!
Erinne
The girls at our house ages 2,4 and momma will help to "decorate" her room...look for more mail!!
Praying for you all
Hi, I came over here from Melody's blog and just want to add my support and prayers to the rest. What a precious little girl you have there.
Carey, You could try All free and Clear to wash the bed linen and clothes. Gracie has really sensitive skin and that works better for her than baby detergent. Chelsea is beautiful as ever and we check in on her daily!
Sending you guys many hugs!
Hi Carey,
You and Chelsea don't know me but I saw your blog the first day you found out about Chelsea's Leukemia. I was not able to write you a message at that time, but purposed in my heart to come back later and write you a note.
My heart really went out to you because my son 2, also has Down Syndrome and is also going through chemotherapy for AML at this time.
This past spring my son began vomiting and could not stop. My husband and I thought he'd caught a bug from playing at the park. Ater a visit to the emergency room, we ultimately ended up in the Hematology/Oncology Department of our local hospital and they were talking about low blood platelets.
I want to let you know that I am praying for you both and to tell you that my son is handling the chemo extremely well. He has gotten a couple of fevers but other than that, he is fine.
We are at the end of the fourth (of 6 planned) chemotherapy treatments in his protocol and this Wednesday, Alec will have a bone marrow biopsy done to determine if the chemo is doing what it is supposed to. When a bone marrow biopsy was done at the end of the second chemotherapy treatment, there was an absence of any abnormal cells which means that he is in remission so far.
Try not to worry too much about side effects (rash, fever etc.) if they happen, my husband and I just accept them as something that comes with all of this.
We will keep you in prayer,
Rob, Toni and Alec
Post a Comment