It appears that Chelsea's energy and late nights are finally catching up with her. She's pretty run down since her fever last night. Fortunately it's stayed pretty under control the last 24 hours and as of 8pm she'll be out of isolation! She didn't sleep well last night, she moans and cries every 10 minutes. She's completely stuffed up today and really didn't take a long nap. Thanks to the nurses paging/intercom system she woke up after only an hour and a half. I was able to raise the head of her crib to help her breathe, but of course after her nap she awoke at the foot of the bed. She's had a bit of a cold for a few days, but it seems since her procedure yesterday morning, she's gone down hill quickly.
This afternoon I noticed when her nose was running it was tinged with blood, so I told the nurse and they drew labs. Her platelets were 7!!! They were 46 on Thursday so I didn't think they could have dropped that quickly. They immediately did a platelet transfusion. Her ANC today was 16. It seems to be dropping soooo slowly, it was 30 on Thursday. It's just dragging on and on, we have to hit 0 before we can come back up, and they keep telling me we'll probably be at 0 for a couple of weeks! So, we know she is very immuno compromised right now. It's likely she caught my cold or this is still the same cold, there's really no way to know. We all were sick when we entered the hospital, and I'm not sure Chelsea or I ever completely got over it. My doctor did put me on antibiotics though just in case mine has turned into a sinus infection (which often happens to me).
I talked to the nurse about her cold today. She said since they have no white blood cells to fight off colds or illness, they usually will continue to be sick until their counts go up. So it's likely she'll be like this or have this cold at least a couple more weeks. Although the nurses and doctors don't act very worried right now, I'll admit I am. I am just scared to death the little cold will turn into something worse, pneumonia, or bronchitis. I know I shouldn't think about that, but of course that's where my mind goes. And I have to wonder what I need to do to protect her more. I'm starting to think since I'm her primary caregiver while we're here, that maybe I need to stay secluded on this floor too. If I don't leave then hopefully I wouldn't catch any more bugs. Then we can make everyone that comes wear a mask and wash like crazy. I know it sounds extreme, but I just have this fear. She's just so fragile I don't want to lose her. I couldn't imagine going home without my baby.
Hello world!
3 years ago
11 comments:
Carey, your fears are completely understandable. I don't know your philosophy about holistic health (i.e., non-traditional medicine) but would suggest the following homeopathic rememdies for you to take daily to boost your immune system and help you fight off any other things you can. (1) Heel/BHI Brand "Echinacea PC" (2) Heel/BHI Brand "Infection" -- take one or two tablets 2-3 times daily for a few days then switch to one tablet 3 times/day.
Also, make sure you are taking a vitamin for yourself. C is a good infection fighter (so is zinc), and B vitamins are good stress-handlers.
I know ti sounds crazy but these really do help and are things you can actively do to help keep you healthy so you can help keep your beautiful little girl as healthy as possible.
You are in our prayers.
Carey, you could also mask up when you left Chelsea's room or her floor. I've done this before with Parker when he was in the PICU during RSV season. Nobody even looked twice at me. I seen lots of other parents do the same thing.
You HAVE to take a break here and there......even if it is just for a Dr. Pepper run or the view from a different window. I know these things.
Having others mask up and wash like crazy is an excellent idea as well. Do they provide hand sanitizer in Chelsea's room?
My heart goes out to you. But you WILL be bringing your baby home. Of that I have NO doubt.
Give our favorite Wild Thang a hug, k?
All the washing up and masking will do no good if Chelsea is constantly exposed by walking and playing on the floor in the halls.
Carey my heart and soul is going out to you. I know you are scared and I know what that fear feels like. It is the worst fear you could ever imagine. Keep your faith and know that we are praying for you!!
Love
Megan
Carey, my heart is aching for you right now. Don't you ever for a second think you will go home without your baby. She is such a little fighter, it will take time, there will be good days and many bad, but there will always be more days! Stay strong for her, I know how tough this is on you, but she needs your strength to help with her fight! You have so many prayers on your side, keep your faith.
We miss you guys already and we haven't even let yet...tomorrow is the big day!
Love to you all!!!
Carey - you WILL NOT be going home without Chelsea! I can't imagine the emotions and fears cancer brings everyday. We continue to pray for Chelsea, you, Ryan, Logan and the family. HUGE Hugs to all.
love,
Michelle - Matthew Mom
Carey-
I tried to post yesterday, but Claire was having none of it. My heart has been breaking for you since I read your post yesterday afternoon. Like others have said..you definitely WILL NOT be going home without Chelsea! I can't imagine the thoughts and fears that race through your mind, but please try not to entertain those bad thoughts. Focus on what a strong little girl you have. We are continuing to pray and think of you daily.
Take care,
Holly - Claire's mom
Carey, Keep your Faith, Chelsea is in the best place ( hard to imagine) to get better and has you as her strongest advocate and protector. Your little girl also has many angels looking out for her and many more friends who are praying everyday that she will be home soon.
You are doing the best that you can and no one can expect more from you.
Please know we are thinking of Chelsea everyday and praying that she gets better soon. My heart hurts everytime I think of Chelsea and your family.
Sending Hugs....Terry
Carey,
Just a bit of encouragement... Kennedy's ANC only hit 0 once or twice and it only stayed at 0 for two days before it started climbing. Our very longest admission (from day 1 of chemo to her counts recovering enough to go home) was round 1 and it was 22 days. The rest varied between 18-20 days each. Kennedy's counts took forever to drop too, but it seemed like once they did they went up quickly. I know every kid is different, and I think she's on different chemo too since Kenn was allergic to the main AML chemo, but hopefully this helps some.
There's really no way to protect her from EVERY germ as badly as we'd like to! Just do what you can but as some others said you need to take breaks too. I rarely left the hospital but I tried to leave the unit at least once a day even if it was just to wander for a bit.
I know it's scary. I still worry every day. All we can do is believe that God is taking care of our girls... and He is!
Hang in there!
Renee & Kennedy
www.carepages.com
site name: KennedyGarcia
Poor pumpkin! I feel so sad about this cold battle both of you have to fight. Sheesh, just what you needed right?
Don't you worry about going home without Chelsea for one minute. You'll have your beautiful firecracker back soon! Hugs to both of you...these hugs are completely sterile!!!
you gotta do what your mommy instincts tell you. Who cares who thinks it is extreme.
Post a Comment