Chelsea has her first fever. Last night around 7pm I noticed she was acting really sleepy, which I attributed to her lack of sleep and procedure in the morning. But when I stood her up she fell to her bottom crying. I first thought her bottom was sore and she couldn't stand, but she was very clingy and only wanted mommy, so I knew something was wrong. We took her temperature at 7:15, and it was 100.2, but it's not considered a fever until it hits 101.5. We were headed out the door with Micah, Jason and Gracie to eat dinner, but the nurse suggested we stay. So we stayed put and at 7:45 she was at 100.7 then at 8:00 spiked up to 102. They immediately sent us to our room (we were sitting in the playroom with Logan an Gracie). They drew cultures on each of her lines, gave her Tylenol and started an antibiotic. We have to be in isolation in her room for 24 hours fever free now. This could become quite a challenge!
They told us this would happen, most kids with AML get fevers, and no one was overly concerned. This is the reason we're still at the hospital. Had we been at home, it would have been a big deal. It happened very fast. She went right to bed after drawing cultures. We did notice that her blood pressure was running a little bit high, the top number was around 120 and it's normally 95-100. The nurse assured me it wasn't anything to worry about yet, so Logan and I came to the Ronald McDonald House to sleep last night.
So here I sit, apparently this is the only place I will be able to update my blog. The hospital has been changing some things with their Internet lately and since it's a children's hospital they've restricted access to my blog. Must be all of the adult content I like to post.
We had a pretty rough night last night, it stormed all night long and it continues to rumble outside as I type. It's one of those powerful 'scare your pants off and shake the entire house' kind of storms. We're in the older RM house on the second floor. Someone had the bright idea to turn on the heat in the house, and therefore, the heat is on for everyone, there's no individual room control...except just open your window. Sounds like a logical plan right? Well, it's a large window that looks out the front of the house, and while it does open, there's no screen or anything keeping Logan inside. You could climb out the window and sit on the roof as there is a large overhang just out our window. Do you realize how tempting that is for a four year old, and how scary that is for his mom?!!! It's rather frustrating and I would think there was some law against this. I literally take him into the bathroom with me when I pee for fear that he'll be overcome by temptation at some point. And you can imagine over night. Of course we didn't sleep in the bed that sits directly next to the open window, and I had Logan sleep against the wall farthest from the window. Between the storm and worrying he would get up and sleep walk that direction I'm not sure how much sleep I actually got in. We're headed back to check on our darling but will likely not be able to update until tonight. Prayers her fever is gone!
Hello world!
3 years ago
8 comments:
That poor peanut! I hope that the fever is gone and she's back to her "wild" self soon!
I hope she is feeling better today...continued prayers for Miss Chelsea.
thinking about her and hoping the fever is gone and she is back to being the spitfire she is!!
May God put His hands in sweeet Chelsea and make the fever go away.
Praying her fever goes away very quickly!!! Gotta love the hospital computers huh? We have everything blocked on the ones here as well. That's part of the reason we invested in a laptop... half the time the hospital computers would lose my update before I hit save anyway! *sigh*
Good to hear Chelsea handled her biopsy well, praying for GREAT results!!! :o)
Renee & Kennedy
www.carepages.com
site name: KennedyGarcia
I'm surprised they have windows without screens at Ronald McDonald House, since its a wellknown fact that it can be dangerous to children!
I am so sorry for what you're all going through! I work in a senior living home as an activity aide, and we're making it an activity to do some artwork to send to Chelsea.
Also, I don't know if you've already researched this (I thought you might not have had time!) But there are a lot of extra services available for children with leukemia and their families. I did a blog entry on it last week. There are many special things people and organizations are willing to do to brighten a child's day at least a little. The blog entry is at http://theyreourchildren.blogspot.com/2007/09/pediatric-cancer-awareness-month.html if you want to read it! (I have a lot of links there!) Good luck! You are all in my prayers!
We are thinking of Chels and praying her fever is gone this evening...
Wow that is so odd about the window. I would be doing the same thing but then I never get to go to the bathroom alone..one day maybe...
Praying for Chelsea and for her fever to go away soon. That is strange about the windows although I am sure it was great having Logan with you last night!
Love to all!
Michelle - Matthew's Mom
Post a Comment