Thursday, February 22, 2007

Why I'll Never Be in Politics

All I wanted was to do something good for our community. It's so sad things have to be like this. Because this is public 'blog' space I will go ahead and express details of the recent drama unfolding in my life, but I will respectfully spare details of names and places.

I reluctantly took the name "group leader" for our local Ds group and I have been trying my hardest to get extra activities started for families and to try and attract more people. I had some new ideas for the group and they've all backfired. I got a call from the person in charge today and pretty much everything I want to do they said I can't do. It's pretty much politics. The main thing was I wrote a newsletter for our local group and sent it via email to the members. A gal that works in the office had told me she didn't want to mail it b/c it would be too much mail for the members as they send a newsletter too (every 2-3 months). So...I emailed it. Someone else in the office had given me permission to do an email newsletter a few weeks ago, and I figured this wouldn't overwhelm people with a lot of mail, you know when it's email, people will either read it or they won't. No big deal. Well the person that called me asked me why I sent it when the office lady told me not to. Obviously she didn't have all the details. I could tell she thought I was trying to be viscious and sneaky, but that wasn't my intention at all. It was a fun newsletter w/ pictures from our last meeting, info for future meeting and a few other little things. She told me the reason we can't do newsletters is b/c they have to sensor them and they don't have time to sensor them for all the individual groups. I wish I had been told that in the first place.

So my question is should I just quit the group leader postition? I don't have time for this drama especially when it's all volunteer work. They also told me we couldn't do any fundraising for our events and we couldn't make group tshirts (I thought it would be cute to wear to our meetings for kids and parents). It's like they want total control over everything, but a month ago they told us at a meeting that they want us leaders to do whatever we want and they didn't want to micro manage us. HUH??? I've had a lot of positive feedback from local group members, so I'd hate to abandon them, but I can't deal with this. Maybe I need to start something a little less rigid around here, maybe a 'casual' 'no politics' Ds group, on a much smaller level. I've been very upset all day. I've put so much work into this, I'm only trying to do good, and this is what I get!

Those of you who know me know I'm a little fiesty and I like to take things and run. I guess I just took this baby too far. I'm also not one to sit and take it lying down...so what now?!

No comments: