Monday, March 28, 2011

Normal

I don't want perfect, just normal.


Logan hits his little sister.


He yells at me and gets ticked off when I tell him to put his clothes away before he can play the Wii.


He tries to sneak chocolate chips from the cabinet when he thinks I'm not looking.


So what?


I can handle that. All of it. That's what's expected of a seven year old boy.




Seven year old boys don't

scream and cry for hours,

at the drop of a hat,

until they throw up.


They don't

take pleasure in abusing,

and killing living things,

then show no remorse.


They don't

set out to destroy everything in sight;

new gifts they've been given,

or old treasures that don't belong to them.


They don't

take a baseball bat to anything -

except a baseball.


They don't

talk about death,

or wish away their precious lives,

or the lives of their loved ones.




Seven year old boys

climb trees,

ride bikes,

torment their little sisters,

sneak candy,

and play in the mud.


They are

always hungry,

curious,

brave,

and sometimes crabby.


They still need

friends,

compliments,

hugs,

a kiss from mom,

and an ear to listen.


How do I know this? I have a seven year old boy. I don't always get to see him, but when I do, it's grand.

This new child of mine, he's growing and changing everyday. I didn't talk publicly about the "other" Logan, probably because I didn't know what we were doing wrong. I didn't know why or how. I didn't know how to "fix" it, how to make it all better.

Do I magically have all the answers now? No, but we're learning everyday. We've seen some remarkable changes, they may seem small to those on the outside, but to us, they're tremendous.

For the first time in almost eight years, I feel like I'm able to breathe. Instead of remaining on constant chaos control, I was able to clean & pay bills over spring break - simple things most people probably take for granted.

What could bring on such a change? You may be surprised. A diet. It's actually more of a lifestyle change; an awareness of what we put into our bodies. The ultimate goal? Natural, God-made foods.

6 comments:

Becca said...

Oh, whoa, Carey. I held my breath reading that, and was so relieved at the end. Even though it's not perfect now, I'm so glad you're seeing positive changes! Amazing what a change in diet can do... This is a good lesson for many people, I think.

FBF Rothkopf said...

Carey, his behavior sounds a lot like both my boys at the heights of their stress. Micah's was all about food allergies. We knew he was allergic to nuts and sesame, but he was still having 6-7 knock-down tantrums a day, until we did further food testing. Turns out he was allergic to things like eggs, soy, grapefruit, olive (all of which he was eating DAILY) and spinach and raspberry. Within a month of pulling those foods, he was a different child.

For Sam, the language he used was the same - "I hate myself, I want to die" - just as his dyslexia was realling becoming apparent. He's still destructive (some of it is just plain clutzy!) but the hate language has died down except when he's really frustrated.

HUGS!!!! I still think Normal would be boring. But I do wish ODD did not involve my children being in pain, mentally or physically.

f.

Lisa said...

(((HUGS)))) Carey! So glad things are getting better and diet is helping so much! Jamie has had some of those very destructive behaviors too but they have often been med related. Enjoy breathing.... Some people don't realize what a blessing it is ;)

oakleyses said...

michael kors pas cher, burberry pas cher, longchamp outlet, prada outlet, louis vuitton, ugg boots, jordan pas cher, nike outlet, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin uk, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, ugg boots, christian louboutin shoes, chanel handbags, polo ralph lauren, longchamp pas cher, sac longchamp pas cher, louboutin pas cher, oakley sunglasses wholesale, kate spade outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike roshe, polo outlet, christian louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, jordan shoes, tory burch outlet, christian louboutin, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, nike free run, longchamp outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet online, gucci handbags, tiffany jewelry, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, air max, nike free, tiffany and co, longchamp outlet

oakleyses said...

vans outlet, lululemon, valentino shoes, nike air max, wedding dresses, nike roshe run, p90x workout, reebok outlet, chi flat iron, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, baseball bats, timberland boots, soccer shoes, instyler, mcm handbags, north face outlet, ray ban, converse outlet, iphone cases, babyliss, hermes belt, new balance shoes, mont blanc pens, lancel, louboutin, soccer jerseys, ghd hair, mac cosmetics, celine handbags, hollister, asics running shoes, ferragamo shoes, hollister, north face outlet, abercrombie and fitch, oakley, longchamp uk, vans, beats by dre, gucci, bottega veneta, ralph lauren, nike huaraches, nike air max, hollister clothing, insanity workout, nike trainers uk, nfl jerseys, converse

oakleyses said...

moncler, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, supra shoes, louis vuitton, pandora charms, louis vuitton, ugg pas cher, juicy couture outlet, marc jacobs, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, canada goose, canada goose outlet, moncler outlet, pandora jewelry, ugg, replica watches, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, toms shoes, karen millen uk, links of london, louis vuitton, montre pas cher, moncler, moncler uk, canada goose jackets, canada goose, ugg uk, coach outlet, canada goose uk, canada goose, hollister, doudoune moncler, louis vuitton, swarovski, moncler, swarovski crystal, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, moncler, thomas sabo, canada goose outlet, pandora uk, canada goose outlet, pandora jewelry