I think at some point in our life we go through denial. Maybe we don't want to admit we're getting older, or that our children are growing up, or that those extra few pounds have turned into twenty. My denial as of late goes much deeper than that though. There's a fine line between life and death and somehow I've gone to a place where I've learned to shut out death. If I don't think about it, don't acknowledge it, it didn't happen. But people die, people we love - die. It truly is a part of life, but my heart cannot withstand the type of death we have laid witness to lately.
Last week another friend of ours passed away. Another child - actually to us she is still just a baby. We met Marianna when she was about 6 months old. She was diagnosed with leukemia during one of Chelsea's last rounds of chemo. Her poor mama Tracey rocked her, walked the halls with her and stayed by her side day and night. We saw Marianna a few times over the past year in clinic, and each time we were given a little bit of hope. Her leukemia never went into full remission and they struggled to find her a bone marrow match - but they did. Last spring it was evident that her little body couldn't handle the chemo she needed before transplant and her mom made the most difficult decision ever - to let her live the rest of her life at home, with her family. She spent the summer months surprisingly healthy and surrounded in love.
Now little Marianna is cancer free. Her fight is over, just like Jacob, McKensie, Kerry, Cade, and all the other children who have lost their lives to childhood cancer. Every time one of our friends passes away I busy myself in life. I put off blogging, sympathy cards, anything I can to keep myself at a distance. I keep telling myself I'll send those cards when I have the right words. I don't think the words ever come though. Really, what do you tell a mother who has lost their child?
I doubt the right words will ever come, so this week I'm getting those cards in the mail. Maybe just a hello and a signature will mean something special to these very special friends. While I work on this please remember those friends who are still fighting: Santos, Claire, Ashlyn, Hunter, Aspen, Kim, & Eileen.
My little angel returns to clinic next Tuesday - it's been four months! This is the first time we've gone longer than 1 month to have her blood checked. I had almost forgotten that awful feeling I get before her appointments. It will just be Chelsea and I traveling down to the big city. Prayers for her continued remission please!
Hello world!
3 years ago
3 comments:
Carey, if they've ever read your blogs, then they already know how much you cared for their children. Just knowing that their child's life had such an impact on you that you felt the need to share it with others...well, I know it would have meant the world to me if I'd lost Ellie. I will say a prayer for those families and the ones still fighting and I will be thinking of you and Chelsea next Tuesday!
We lost a part of ourselves walking this walk with cancer.We lose a piece of our hearts each time we have to say goodbye to a child we have come to love as our own.I will never ever be the same but then again I wouldn't want to be be.Because sprinkled amongst the unspeakable sorrows of the oncology floor and clinic are some of the most beautiful moments this world could offer up.Only those who have traveled this road can know what a mean when to the outside it sounds absurd:cancer and beauty in the same sentence.My prayers are with you as you try to navigate your way through these complicated emotions.My prayers most especially for Chelsea,who inspires and reminds me daily to find hope as we continue this day to day life post chemo.I said it once and I'll say it again:I HATE clinic and labs.I truly and honestly need a Xanax to get through it .. no joke.that is how sick to my stomach I get.Love to you.Strength to you.Peace to you our beautiful inspirations.
vans outlet, lululemon, valentino shoes, nike air max, wedding dresses, nike roshe run, p90x workout, reebok outlet, chi flat iron, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, baseball bats, timberland boots, soccer shoes, instyler, mcm handbags, north face outlet, ray ban, converse outlet, iphone cases, babyliss, hermes belt, new balance shoes, mont blanc pens, lancel, louboutin, soccer jerseys, ghd hair, mac cosmetics, celine handbags, hollister, asics running shoes, ferragamo shoes, hollister, north face outlet, abercrombie and fitch, oakley, longchamp uk, vans, beats by dre, gucci, bottega veneta, ralph lauren, nike huaraches, nike air max, hollister clothing, insanity workout, nike trainers uk, nfl jerseys, converse
Post a Comment