Chelsea’s sick. We’re on day ten now and there’s no end in sight. She’s got a cold, and it’s coming out of her eyes. Really really gross. The fun part is she hates for me to clean the goop from her eyes, so some of it just gets to stay there until she gets her next bath.
Last night she was telling me, “ow, ow, ow!” In Chelsea speak this means, hey, uh-oh, look, this is annoying, or sometimes, it really means ow. What she was showing me was the goop in her eye was strung from her top eyelashes to the bottom eyelashes, and basically she couldn’t see. You would think one would want some help in alleviating the situation, but not Chelsea. While she was clearly annoyed, she wanted nothing to do with my washcloth. I was able to overpower her though and remove the goop.
I’m off to Walmart tomorrow to look for some washcloths that were recommended specifically for – removing goop from the eyes of children with Down syndrome. Okay, not really what they’re for, but they do come highly recommended by another Ds mom. I’ll keep you posted.
For now, here is her preferred sleep position as of late. Poor kid gets out of bed (at night and during nap) and crawls into her rocking chair. Apparently it’s more comfy and easier for her to breathe in her chair. She’s done this at least four times in the past week. I’m anxious to get her sleep study going and find out just what’s going on with her airway when she sleeps.
Hello world!
3 years ago
6 comments:
So sorry she is sick....but oh how precious those pictures are! I just love a sleeping child. There is not a better sight in the entire universe!
Sounds terrible! How are her ears? When Sean gets it to the point of eye goo, there is usually an ear infection or sinus infection riding along with it. And yes, those epicanthal folds are terrific for savoring eye goo crust!
Poor girl! I'm sorry that she's so sick :( I hope she's better soon. Her sleeping position is too cute.
Carey,
Try putting a little vaseline on her eye lids and eye lashes. This will help to remove the goop when it does drain. It won't stick to the lashes that much.
Donna
Here's a tip I got from another parent of a little one with Down Syndrome:
Take a baby wipe, and put it in the microwave for about 10-20 seconds (just enough to get it warm). Use that, and the warmness of it loosens up that eye gunk.
She looks so pitiful. I'm playing catch up so hopefully by the time I get to the top of this blog, she will be better.
I didn't get your e-mail until it was to late and Carson has really been battling asthma for almost three weeks. We are on breathing treatments 6 times a day and steroids for 5 days off for two and back on for another 5. So with all of that said, we didn't get to meet. Sorry.
Post a Comment